04 Rank
Progress

Updating the system software on your PS4

[ Edited ]
87 Replies 36,610 Views edited 18-12-2015
14 Jul 2015
By SuperFastZombie

Hi guys, 

Below you can find out about the different methods you can use to update the system software on your PS4 and what to do if something goes wrong. 

There are currently 4 ways to update the PS4's system software.

- Update using the Internet 

- Update using a disc 

- Update using a PC

- Performing a new installation of the system software

Updating the system software using the Internet

Spoiler

Using this method you will download the latest system software update directly to your PS4 so make sure that you have a working Internet connection setup on your PS4. 

From the function area menu go to Settings > System Software Update. The PS4 will automatically check if you have the latest version of the system software and if not, download the latest version. 

Once the download is complete you will receive a notification in the top left of the screen. Go to Notifications on the function area menu and select Downloads. Select the system software update and follow the on screen instructions install the update.  

Update the system software using a disc

Spoiler

When playing a PlayStation 4 format disc that contains a later version of the system software you currently have a screen will be displayed asking if you wish to update the system software. Select yes and follow the on screen instructions to update the system software. 

Older discs will not have the latest version so we would advise updating the system software using one of the other methods when possible. 

Update the system software using a PC

Spoiler

If your PS4 system is not connected to the Internet you can download the system software update to a USB storage device and copy the file to your PS4 in order to update the system. 

You will need a USB storage device with at lease 320mb in order to download the update file. On the USB storage device first create a file called 'PS4' inside that folder, create another folder called 'UPDATE' 

Download the update file named 'PS4UPDATE.PUP' from the 'Update using a computer' tab on the system software update page and save it in the 'UPDATE' folder. 

Connect the USB storage device to your PS4 system and from the function area menu go to Settings > System Software Update. 

Then follow the on screen prompts to update the system software. 

Performing a new installation of the system software

Spoiler

You can initialise the PS4 system and reinstall the latest system software. This would be done if your system software is corrupt and will not update using the other methods or to try and resolve other faults with the PS4 system. 

Please note initialising the PS4 system will restore the factory settings and delete all user data. 

You will need a USB storage device with at lease 900mb in order to download the update file. On the USB storage device first create a file called 'PS4' inside that folder, create another folder called 'UPDATE' 

Download the update file named 'PS4UPDATE.PUP' from the 'Perform a new installation of the system software' tab on the system software update page and save it in the 'UPDATE' folder. 

Next completely power off the PS4 system (not rest mode). If your PS4's power indicator is orange the system is in rest mode. Press and hold the power button for at least 7 seconds until you hear a beep to power off the system. 

Connect the USB storage device containing the initialisation file then load the PS4 in Safe Mode and select option 7, Initialise PS4 (Reinstall System Software). 

Then follow the on screen prompts to reinstall the system software. 

You can also watch the below video guide on updating the system software by community member XTREMEPSPDOTCOM

If any one has any questions please ask. 

Thanks, 

SFZ 

LABELS: My System

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Geiros2005

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Geiros2005
Accepted Solution

I just followed your instructions, but my PS4 will still not connect with the controller. In safe mode the controller works fine, but not after a restart. How can I fix this?

Re: Updating the system software on your PS4

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Geiros2005

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Geiros2005
Accepted Solution

I forgot to say that I downloaded and reinstalled the software (900 mb).

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mcerone

61%
02 Rank
Progress
mcerone
Geiros2005
Accepted Solution

I'm having the same issue @Geiros2005 ! In safe mode it works fine, but when the PS4 starts normally it simply ignores both my controllers! It happened exactly after installing 4.0 update!

After reinstalling the patches a few times, it recognized both controllers! But after turning it off the issue returns... It sucks... but I guess not everybody is having this problem and I don't know how to make sony aware of the issue! Been asking for help for a few days now and here was the only place someone answered me. I think, all we can do, is wait and see if we'll have a 4.1 fix

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
mcerone
Accepted Solution

In settings, remove both controllers from the list. Then re-sync them.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mabremo

44%
02 Rank
Progress
mabremo
Accepted Solution

I've just bought a new harddrive on 1 TB to replace the old one in my ps4, and I'm currently trying to redownload the system software on 800 MB. But when I try to initialise the ps4 I get the message that "the update file is corrupted" with the error code SU-30645-8. Any idea what's wrong and how I can fix this? 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Accepted Solution
Download the update again, make sure it goes into the PS4/UPDATE folder. The folder and file names must be in upper case.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

M-H-K-Randhawa

24%
02 Rank
Progress
M-H-K-Randhawa
Accepted Solution
mine says a serious error has accord. I did all the steps but still it doesn't work. PS4>UNDATE>and then the download file.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

real-scar73

22%
02 Rank
Progress
real-scar73
Accepted Solution
Por favor necesito ayuda con mi consola ps4 para que se encienda ya que me dice que inserte un conector USB con la actualizacion 2.57 o posterior, sin embargo al hacerlo no me reconoce correctamente el archivo por lo tanto no puedo ni siquiera acceder al menu principal. Por favor ayuda.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hbk_Shooter

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Hbk_Shooter
Accepted Solution

i switched off my ps4 and when i turned it om again it sais to uptade 2.57 if i do so will i lose all my saved games data..plzzz reply fast

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

smurf9312

51%
02 Rank
Progress
smurf9312
Accepted Solution

iv updated my hard drive to a 2tb , now initialise ps4 (reinstall system sorfware) of usb but keep getting " the update file cannot be used connect a usb storage device the contains an update file for reinstallation for version 2.57 or later "

(CE-34788-0)

iv done the step by step from the website and all the folder bit been at it hour now all i keep gettin is that same code plz somone help !

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mabremo

44%
02 Rank
Progress
mabremo
Accepted Solution

Try using a different thumbdrive, if youre certain the update file is correct then that might be the problem..

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The_AveRaGE_420

26%
02 Rank
Progress
The_AveRaGE_420
Accepted Solution

The same thing has happened to me and I've tried two different USB's can someone help I've asked playstation on twitter and they said to try formatting a fat32 usb and i've done that but it still doesn't work. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MattMcD04

24%
02 Rank
Progress
MattMcD04
The_AveRaGE_420
Accepted Solution

I know this is so long ago now but I am habing the Smae problem did you get it fixed and how

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Nakatsu_Hime

• Beta Tester
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Nakatsu_Hime
Accepted Solution
Or give the suspect USB stick a full format on your PC.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pahkthacaaa

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Pahkthacaaa
Accepted Solution

Update 3.11 would not download outside of safe mode. Its taking forever to download at 4 hours eta. Is this normal?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tibo67w

21%
02 Rank
Progress
tibo67w
Accepted Solution

Hello, since the last update, I have problem with my ps4, the disc comes out alone, the ps4 still rings and the disc drive still running. How to do ?

0 Kudos

Re : Updating the system software on your PS4

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

darkschadow2412

36%
02 Rank
Progress
darkschadow2412
Accepted Solution

Has anyone been able to fix this ? 

i have the same problem, my ps4 can't find the 3.10 update trough the USB

And i did everything like the site says 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Fayt1980

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Fayt1980
Accepted Solution
Help! Black Ops 3 crashed and now my PS4 won't turn on. Downloaded the 3.11 update from the Sony website as a PUP file and after plugging usb into the console it says it's not the correct update. I cannot do anything
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

haison1

23%
02 Rank
Progress
haison1
Accepted Solution

If performing a new installation of the system software update did not work, what else can i do to get my PS4 game running.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

alixpress1

42%
02 Rank
Progress
alixpress1
Accepted Solution

Hi, we downloaded the 3.11 on a USB stick in the right folders (PS4 and UPDATE) but it isn't recognised.

We can't get into 'safe mode' neither, what do we do?

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel