samshabz13

29%
02 Rank
Progress

40 gigs for a demo game

24 Replies 634 Views Created 10-02-2016
10 Feb 2016
By samshabz13
I have a ps4 and wanted to get destiny. So I downloaded the demo to try it out. And it used 20 gigs and my house uses a lot of wifi and we have a limit of 100 gigs a month. So I already wasted a lot l. So I played it for two days and the next day it wanted me to update it again which is another 20 gigs and I can't use another 20 gigs because it's to much. But I can't play the game without updating it. What should I do
0 Kudos
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Tom-Stirling

• Beta Tester
94%
05 Rank
Progress
Tom-Stirling
Accepted Solution

Alot of games allow you to play them without installing the patches, it just doesn't let you play online until you have the latest version. I don't know whether destiny is one of those games, why not just try running it and choosing not to download the update?

Otherwise I guess you'll need to upgrade your broadband package to unlimited usage, or wait until next month when you will have a new allowance.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pez_iow

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Pez_iow
Accepted Solution

Unfortunately you can't really escape the large data transfers, more so when it comes to digital games. The only thing I could suggest is perhaps looking at trying to find another provider that offers unlimited data usage. To be honest, they are not too expensive these days, and if as you say the household uses a lot collectively, then its certainly worth the few extra £'s each month.

You could maybe even contact your current provider and ask them if they are willing to drop or even increase the data limit too, if you let them know you are planning to go elsewhere, they will likely then start giving you some offers and deals.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gazzaho

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Gazzaho
Accepted Solution

It's an MMO so is continually online, the same as WoW. When they issue an update to fix bugs or change game dynamics everyone has to be on the same page so to speak. The only way around your problem is to avoid this type of game or upgrade your ISP to one with no monthly cap on download data.

You can't play Destiny without a internet connection as all your items and upgrade materials are stored online and not the PS4.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Roy Batty.
Blade runner.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

JynXten

• Beta Tester
96%
09 Rank
Progress
JynXten
Accepted Solution
I didn't even know limited Internet packages still existed! Time to change ISP I think.
0 Kudos

Re: 40 gigs for a demo game

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TheStill

• Beta Tester
96%
13 Rank
Progress
TheStill
Accepted Solution
I've seen a few people mentioning this the past few days.

Also it is not a demo it is the full game you may just be restricted in using certain features.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

OrdosAlpha

• Beta Tester
97%
07 Rank
Progress
OrdosAlpha
TheStill
Accepted Solution

Yeah, it's the full game with a level cap and story progression limit.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

My PSN Profile

All blank friend requests will be refused.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

samshabz13

29%
02 Rank
Progress
samshabz13
Accepted Solution
Thanks for answers. But I do not have a cap, it is unlimited however there is what you call a fair usage policy which is when you can't exceed because the average family only uses about that much at max or it will be throttled which means it slows down. But I'll just update it next month. Thanks for answers anyway
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

HypnoticMonkey

95%
04 Rank
Progress
HypnoticMonkey
samshabz13
Accepted Solution

So you have unlimited but you also have a "limit of 100 gigs a month", that's the most awful fair use cap I've never seen. 100 gigs a month isn't even that much.

40 gigs for a demo game

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Rhinne

• MVP
99%
09 Rank
Progress
Rhinne
samshabz13
Accepted Solution

That's not a 'fair usage policy', that's a bullsh*t contract clause that allows them to offer an unlimited service that's not actually unlimited without getting into legal bother for false advertising.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pez_iow

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Pez_iow
Accepted Solution

For those contracts that involve a fair usage policy, that only usually applies for the peak hours, normally 18:00-22:00 or such. Outside of those peak hours, you should be able to freely download as much as you like. Check your provider's terms and conditions if you want to be sure, but I am 99% certain that will be the case there too, otherwise what you have for all intensive purposes is indeed actually a cap. Also, they will usually contact you to warn you that you have exceeded a few times before they actually apply a throttling.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gazzaho

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Gazzaho
Pez_iow
Accepted Solution

Before Virgin changed their policy for throttling they just cut the bandwidth, I never got a warning once, I had to search for a reason for the speed drop to find they were applying throttling. Virgin had two daily time slots for applying it, one in the morning and another at night.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Roy Batty.
Blade runner.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Rhinne

• MVP
99%
09 Rank
Progress
Rhinne
Gazzaho
Accepted Solution

Virgin's fair usage throttling was ridiculous. Their fair usage allowances were archaic and way below what could be used with legal methods. 

I know they were trying to cut down on piracy to stop it soaking up their bandwidth, but a limit of 4.5GB on a 100mb connection between 4pm and 11pm was utter nonsense. I could do that in less than an hour trying to download a game from Steam and then scupper my connection for the entire night.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gazzaho

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Gazzaho
Rhinne
Accepted Solution

Yeah, if you went over the limit you were throttled for 5 hours! I hated it, but as I said big downloads were for the wee hours. It was fine for playing WoW but not so great for updates. 😕

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

Roy Batty.
Blade runner.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Rhinne

• MVP
99%
09 Rank
Progress
Rhinne
Gazzaho
Accepted Solution

What made it worse was that if you exceeded the 4.5GB during the throttled period, which was still easily possible if you were trying to download a large game, then the throttled period would extend for another five hours.

I'm glad they got rid of that. Although they do monitor and throttle upload traffic now instead.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gazzaho

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Gazzaho
Rhinne
Accepted Solution

LOL Rhinne, theoretically you could get into a near permanent slowdown loop if the file was large enough! I never ran into that extended problem but I spent hour after hour and lost a lot of sleep in the wee hours trying to avoid the imposed slowdown.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

Roy Batty.
Blade runner.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Rhinne

• MVP
99%
09 Rank
Progress
Rhinne
Gazzaho
Accepted Solution

I think it reset once you got to the off peak hours, but you could end up throttled for about 12 hours.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pez_iow

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Pez_iow
Rhinne
Accepted Solution

The cheeky Bar-Stewards, I'm surprised OFCOM didn't have something to say about that, or perhaps they did there and that's what got them to start sorting it out.

I'm lucky to have not been hindered by a fair use policy since the age old days when a 2MB/s connection was the business. Madness to think it still happens as strict as it does in this day and age though, especially with so many ISP's offerring truly unlimited for roughly the same cost each month.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

samshabz13

29%
02 Rank
Progress
samshabz13
Accepted Solution
Thanks guys for the replies. I'll make sure to try them
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gazzaho

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Gazzaho
Accepted Solution

Throttling as said has peak time periods attached to it, all you have to do is set your PS4 to download in rest mode and download large updates overnight. Use google to find your ISP traffic management implementation and download big files outside those times.

0 Kudos

40 gigs for a demo game

Roy Batty.
Blade runner.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TheStill

• Beta Tester
96%
13 Rank
Progress
TheStill
Accepted Solution
When i was setting up xbox again after moving i had a look through the network usage monitor. In one one month there was over 1tb downloaded just on that machine. Now it is only used for watching Netflix and tv nothing else. I also don't ever remember having speed restrictions during that month.

So it is really easy to blow through 100gb especially nowadays. Caps and fair usage policies should really be a thing of the past these days unless all you do is browse Facebook and emails.

100gb a month is equivalent to watching Netflix hd for 1hr a day.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel