Mc-Milkmann

54%
02 Rank
Progress

PS4 Interfering with Wifi

25 Replies 14,152 Views Created 16-04-2016
16 Apr 2016
By Mc-Milkmann

I have a very strange and uncommon problem with my Playstation 4. 

My Ps4 is hard wired, and when I turn the system on the ps4 itself and the online services work fine, however from the moment I turn the console on it somehow interferes with my wireless internet and virtually makes the wifi for every single device in the house unsuable. 

I have tried using static IP addresses for the PS4, and 've disabled the remote play setting.

This is not a problem with internet speed or bandwith because my internet is 30mbps and the wireless internet is perfect from the moment I turn the PS4 off again. I have video evidence of this, the second I turn the console on, my wireless devices do not work, the second i turn it off, they work again. 

I dont know if this is a problem with PS4 in general, with my ps4 individually or with my internet, but if I can't fix it soon i'm going to have to trade it for an Xbox. 

At the moment I simply cant play it since it hits everyone else in my house offline. 

Help would be appreciated! 

LABELS: online
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

The PS4 broadcasts it's own wireless channel for remote play purposes, this can interfere with some wireless networks if the channel the PS4 broadcasts is the same as the channel your home network is using.

The channel the PS4 broadcasts can be disabled by going into remote play connection settings and unticking Connect Directly with PS Vita/PSTV. Another option if you use remote play is to change your routers wireless channel avoiding CH6 the channel the PS4 uses for broadcasting remote play.

PS_Messages_20160416_155908.jpg

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mc-Milkmann

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Mc-Milkmann
mont348
Accepted Solution

Unfortunately I'd already tried this and it had no effect. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Mc-Milkmann
Accepted Solution

It's got to be something to do with your setup somehow,check your routers firmware is up-to-date.

I recommend giving your PS4 a static IP address at the far end of the DHCP range or if possible reserve the IP address via your router if it allows it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

The wireless performance is completely independent of IP address allocation. I'd suggest trying to connect it to another wireless network if you can, to see if the same thing happens. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
frodouk
Accepted Solution

Something very odd going on there matey. There is nothing that should cause this to happen, however I have noticed other slight oddities with Sony consoles, such as when the console is on, it interferred with my HDMI connection when trying to watch my TV... so there is a possibility the Ps4 is causing the interference. 

Can you try completely resetting the router (backup your settings if you use a lot of statics/port forwarding). Once it's reset, just let everything connect to the WiFi and wired via DHCP - see if it happens again/?

The comment to trade it in is a bit overkill - how do you know the Xbox won't do the same to your WiFi? You've not done enough to rule out the router yet.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mc-Milkmann

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Mc-Milkmann
frodouk
Accepted Solution

Tried this and i've tried updating the router to the latest firmware, still no luck! 

And my brother has an Xbox One, I tried his on my network and there were no issues, so its certainly something to do with my PS4. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
mont348
Mc-Milkmann
Accepted Solution

Have you tried a different ethernet port on your router?Some routers have standard speed ethernet ports along with a faster GB port.

For some reason the router is prioritizing traffic to the PS4,connecting the PS4 via ethernet and disabling the remote play setting should really be enough on the PS4 side of things.

Although both the PS4 and XB1 are both game consoles you can't rule out a router issue,out of curiosity what is the make and model of router in use?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

zinep

90%
07 Rank
Progress
zinep
Accepted Solution

The PS4 is connected to a modem/router which is also the wifi access point? (I.e. it's an integrated unit for the wired connections and the wifi?)

If you run a speedtest on a wifi device while the PS4 is off, and then when it's on, what are the [wifi-device] transfer rates?

In case it's electrical/interference: Is the PS4 and the wifi access point very close to each other? Do you have a very long tp cable? If you do, can you move the PS4 as far away from the access point as possible, yet connect it to the router using a long TP cable? If that changes things, it's an interference (of some sort) and not a wire/protocol issue.

In case it's a wire/protocol issue: In my router I used to use traffic shaping, which means that my router would (attempt to) guarantee a certain amount of bandwidth to certain interfaces/ports. Perhaps your router has such traffic shaping and for some reason it decides to cut almost all of the bandwidth to the wifi interface? If this is the case, the question would then become "why?". If it's an interface issue it should happen regardless of what you plug into the router, but I assume that plugging in PCs or such won't trigger the problem? That would leave over-the-wire protocol issues, which means software/firmware bugs.

There's a large amount of software bugs which could cause a problem like that, but again unlikely to affect only the PS4.

So what's unique (on your network) to the PS4? Do you have anything else using UPnP?

If your router has UPnP forwarding hooked up to traffic shaping, in a buggy way, it could cause what you're seeing.

Not that I think it's any of these issues, but extraordinarily problems require extraordinary theories.

(I had a problem which vaguely behaved like that a long time ago, but I know exactly what the issue was in that case; a NAT port pool was exhausted under a specific circumstance; it caused a bunch of systems/devices to become almost unusable when one particular system was active).

I'm sorry to say, but what you describe is so odd that I doubt anyone will be able to tell you what's wrong, you're probably going to have to do some tests to isolate the problem a little more.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mc-Milkmann

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Mc-Milkmann
zinep
Accepted Solution

To answer your first question, yes it is. 

Whilst the PS4 is off, I receive around 24+mbps download, but when it is on unfortunately I can't even load speedtest.net to gain a result. 

The PS4 and the router are not close together, I run a long ethernet cable to connect the two. 

Yes this is a problem that is exclusive to use of the PS4, i've tried lots of other devices including an Xbox One and there is no issues. 

I'm really not sure what is unique about my PS4, and how do I find out if anything else is using UPnP? 

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

zinep

90%
07 Rank
Progress
zinep
Accepted Solution

Heads-up: I sent you a PM regarding this issue.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Darkwaxer

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Darkwaxer
zinep
Accepted Solution

Hello there, I am currently trying to figure out a solution to the exact same problem as OP. I am connecting using a TP Link Powerline extender that has been mirrored from a BT SmartHub. I have changed channels on the router and on the TP adapter, turned off remote play and direct connect on the PS4; and have just logged into the router and turned off UPnP. Nothing works, as soon as the PS4 power is pressed - the WIFI and internet goes down for everything connected to the TP Link Powerline - turn the PS4 off and the WIFI is back instantly.

I haven't yet tried setting a static I.P. on the PS4 (because the internet has already gone by the time it starts up), PS4 doesn't work by a LAN connection to the TP Link though my laptop does (I don't have two LAN cables to try these simultaneously). My place is an annex to a main house and I can't just relocate my PS4 to connect directly with the router to try that as the main building is a B&B.

Not sure where to go with it.. I've switched the PS4 on using only the power button on the console to see if it was the controllers interfering but it isn't. I've moved the PS4 downstairs (and away from the Powerline adapter) and that doesn't work and tried the Powerline adapter in other sockets and that doesn't work. PS3, tablets and phones work great over the WIFI the but the PS4 kills it for everything.. any other suggestions?

EDIT: The TP Link doesn't appear to have a setting for UPnP.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

PFC_Hudson

• Beta Tester
98%
11 Rank
Progress
PFC_Hudson
Accepted Solution

"PS4 Interfering with Wifi"

Now Mr Wifi please take your time and show to the court by using the doll provided where exactly the PS4 touched you, interfered if you will

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

PFC_Hudson

• Beta Tester
98%
11 Rank
Progress
PFC_Hudson
Accepted Solution

Try starting your PS4 in safe mode and runing 'Restore default settings* (This will not delete anything from your hard drive)

Then run the internet set-up option from the PS4's settings again

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mc-Milkmann

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Mc-Milkmann
PFC_Hudson
Accepted Solution

Just tried this, unfortunately still no luck. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

PFC_Hudson

• Beta Tester
98%
11 Rank
Progress
PFC_Hudson
Accepted Solution

Next option is to factory reset the PS4 using the option in Safe Mode to re-flash the latest installation version of the firmware

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mc-Milkmann

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Mc-Milkmann
PFC_Hudson
Accepted Solution

I think its more likely to be a problem with either the router itself or the router settings. I will contact my ISP again tomorrow for one last attempt at fixing this. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mc-Milkmann

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Mc-Milkmann
Accepted Solution

SOLUTION: My ISP disabled UPnP and now everything is working fine. It's odd how such a small change can fix it entirely, guess now i'll have to manually forward some ports. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

zinep

90%
07 Rank
Progress
zinep
Accepted Solution

That may become annoying in the long run, so don't forget to make sure your ISP investigates the problem properly on their end.

Glad it's fixed in the short term though, so you can keep using the PS4 without upsetting the rest of the family.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

intotheBigC

26%
02 Rank
Progress
intotheBigC
Mc-Milkmann
Accepted Solution

Tried this in 2018. Disabling UPnP totally works  a 100%

You can call ur ISP or hook up your Ethernet cable to ur laptop or pc,

key in your IP address,

then disable it yourself.

(Menu varies depending on router brand) 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

L_BIGDOG_L

24%
02 Rank
Progress
L_BIGDOG_L
Accepted Solution

I know this thread was from ages ago but is everything still working fine? I have the exact same issue as you have, so I will turn off UPnP this evening. Will I have to do anything after I've turned it off to keep it working? I don't really understand any of it! Cheers

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel