68%
02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

psp go video playback help!

12 Replies 4,503 Views Created 30-07-2010
30 Jul 2010
By thebluegaloo

i have some films on mp4 and avi formats on my ps3 just transfered them to my go and lo and behold unsupported data! like what!!! whats gone on here any help appreciated! cheers blue

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Furiekins

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Furiekins
Accepted Solution

I've had the same issues and find that they often don't work.

So I've got into the habit of using a package like this:

http://www.pspvideo9.com/

to convert everything to PSP format before adding it. I found one that could do them in batched too which was great. I have a lot of home movies in .wmv format that needed doing :)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: psp go video playback help!

------------------------------
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
- Michel de Montaigne

(Oh Crap. It's The Duke)

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Furiekins

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Furiekins
Accepted Solution

I've had the same issues and find that they often don't work.

So I've got into the habit of using a package like this:

http://www.pspvideo9.com/

to convert everything to PSP format before adding it. I found one that could do them in batched too which was great. I have a lot of home movies in .wmv format that needed doing :)

0 Kudos

------------------------------
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
- Michel de Montaigne

(Oh Crap. It's The Duke)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sintax-error

85%
03 Rank
Progress
sintax-error
Accepted Solution

The other option is to transfer the videos with Media Go. If the file format, bitrate... etc are not compatable with the PSP then Media GO will convert the file for you. No third party software needed.

If only Media Go would that with my DVD's :(

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DeAtomizer

45%
02 Rank
Progress
DeAtomizer
Accepted Solution

Same problem here, I purchased the psp for my son as a universal entertainment devise. The only thing the psp can do it seems at the moment is games. I have so many DVD's that I would love to transfer to the PSP for road trips but obviously is not a simple process. Shame really.

I have been rummaging through forums after forums reading and applying all sorts of advises on how to convert and transfer movies onto the PSP. "Unsupported Format" is the only movie playing so far.

I've tried the Video 9 free software and even paid $30 for the Leawo video converter software. Non of them work. I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong but not sure what and it seems to be a wide spread issue as its plastered on forums everywhere, people like me not able to play MP4 movies on the PSP.

Sony could do itself justice and possible increase sales on its PSP if they make this process a little easier for the average user. Its not Piracy, I bought the original movie as a DVD and want to convert it to play on a different media. If you can purchase VCR's to convert VHS to DVD, why not make it just as simple converting to other popular formats.

I will continue on until the mystery is solved. I will post the end result with a true solution.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sintax-error

85%
03 Rank
Progress
sintax-error
Accepted Solution

OK the way I have got around this, it is time consuming but, when it is done it is done :)

First, If the DVD is not copy protected i.e. my Basilisk disc's imported from Japan are not. I just use Freemake converter, great program with the best results I can find, plus it's free!
Second, if the DVD is copy protected like my Futurama box set's (and I agree if you own them it is not steeling unless you sell the DVD) then I use DVD shrink 3.2 (this program is old and not support by the Dev's any more but works just fine, even on Win7) to convert the files to .vob. Then again back to Freemake converter to transfer into .mp4. It takes quite some time, but like I said once it's done, it's done.

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
http://www.dvdshrink.org/

I hope this helps? If you have any problems give me a shout, ok? I have been using this method since getting my PSP1000 from Japan, just wish I didn't have to use 3rd party software, but hey, it works and works very well.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DeAtomizer

45%
02 Rank
Progress
DeAtomizer
Accepted Solution

Thanks sin-er, I will give this a go when I get home tonight. Ill post my results.

The DVD's I'm burning are copy right protected as they are newer animated movies (ie. G-Force) I bought for the kids. I did use DVD Shrink but I kept getting errors during the shrinking process and ended up cancelling the whole thing. I'm getting really frustrated. MP4 is MP4 is MP4! If the media is compatible with MP4 then why is it so difficult to get it to work. uugh. And if the software i use or BUY has a conversion setting specifically for the PSP, why doesn't it work? Glorious stuff I tell you.

Anyways, I appreciate the help sin-er.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sintax-error

85%
03 Rank
Progress
sintax-error
Accepted Solution
Your very welcome. Quick question about DVD shrink then and I'm not trying to be rude but are you running other programs when converting? I find I get errors sometimes, but have found better results when I run it over night with my PC disconnected from the internet and I also use 'Gamebooster' to stop windows doing what ever it wants. Clearly it's meant for getting the best out of Windows when playing newer games but I also find it good for very labour intensive tasks, like video converting. Unless of course you have a ***** hot PC that can get through Crysis without breaking a sweat lol

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

If not then I guess it's down to newer copy protection on more recent DVD's. I'll have a nose about if you still getting problem's, must be something out there can do this for you. Of course, worse case scenario is that you just torrent the Anime you after (some can be found already converted for PSP or just to note if it is converted for iPods that will play on PSP's as well) safe in the knowledge that you own the DVD :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DeAtomizer

45%
02 Rank
Progress
DeAtomizer
Accepted Solution

I new Shrink would take a while so I did leave it running and went to be only to wake up this morning to an error. The ***** thing didn't even reach 1% all night.

I'm using a 6 month old laptop running Windows 7. Its a higher end laptop with a Nvidia Gforce GPU and 4gigs of ram. I've been in the game for a long time now, long enough to know there is something weird and unstable about transferring movies to the PSP.

In regards to gamebooster I don't use it but I do keep my startup folder clean as a daisy. So it would be safe to say there is nothing that should be conflicting with DVD Shrink. Disconnecting from the internet is one thing I haven't tried yet. I give that ago tonight.

When converting a DVD to MP4 to play on the PSP, do I keep all the menus and extra features like "Deleted Scenes"? Does the PSP recognize this?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sintax-error

85%
03 Rank
Progress
sintax-error
Accepted Solution
"When converting a DVD to MP4 to play on the PSP, do I keep all the menus and extra features like "Deleted Scenes"? Does the PSP recognize this?"

In a word, no. It's just a very simple media player as far as I can tell so it's never going to recognise a ToC (Table of Contents) or anything like that sadly. If the DVD is a film, then just rip the main video file. If it's a collection of episodes for example then it should list them all so you can select which one's you want, but they will be separate files. you could put the deleted scenes in there but these will have to be again, separate files. (unless of course you want to splice them on to the end of the film? (I can cover this if you wish at a later date)

Here's an example of the settings I use for DVD shrink;

The DVD for this example is the truly superb Poritshead DVD PNYC (as I'm ripping this tonight)

I'm going to spell this out so that others who may be looking at this posting who may be less familiar with the process can have a crack at it as well.

With DVD Shrink open and the DVD in question in the drive, select 'open disc' and choose the DVD, let it run the Analysis.
Once this has finished you should see the 'DVD Structure' menu and one of the listings being 'Main Movie' ignore this but we want to see it there so we know that DVD shrink can read the disc.
Select the 'Re-author' button and double click on the file you want to 'Rip' (this can be a little confusing as it will list a lot of files, but it should list at least one file under 'Main movie'. If stuck, I always look at the 'Duration' of the file for example the Portishead DVD has 2 files under 'Main Movie' but I want the one that's an 1 hour and 23 mins.
Then select 'Back-up!'. With the new window that opens, it should be on the first tab 'Target device'. Make sure the first drop down box is set to 'Hard disc folder' and not ‘ISO Image file’ (This is used for putting the film on to a new disc) The next drop down box is the ‘target folder’, this should be self explanatory, but if unsure, just scroll to the top after pressing 'browse...' and select 'Desktop' will be easy to find this way.
The other tabs in this window; 'DVD region' etc etc can be left alone as these are used when creating ISO files. 'Options' may have settings that some may find useful? I do use 'Shutdown computer when backup is complete' as I run the program over night. So if required make sure the radio box is ticked.
Just Ok it when happy with the settings and let it run, personally I disable the 'video preview' as not to waste recourses.
When all is finished you should have a collection of files within a folder that is the same name as the disc is called. These will be '.bup' '.ifo' and '.vob' files.
It's the .vob file we want but keep all the files until the final part is done and checked. I can't stress enough not to delete these files until the final conversion is complete because if that go's wrong you don't want to waste anther night re-ripping the same disc, trust me, been there.

Final conversion using Freemake Video converter

TBH this program is super simple to use and for most will not need explaining, but I’ll still go through the basic’s

Open Freemake and select the ‘Video’ button
From the browser window, go to the location of the .vob file we just created and double click it.
More files can be added at this point if you want to run a ‘Batch’ over night.
When ready, simply click the ‘to mp4’ button at the bottom of the window.
This will present the ‘MP4 output parameters’ window.
From the ‘Pre-set’ drop down box select ‘PSP’
The ‘Save to’ should be set to where you want the converted file to be (again if unsure, select desktop)
click ‘convert’

Job done! Just need to transfer the converted file to the PSP ready for playback :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sintax-error

85%
03 Rank
Progress
sintax-error
Accepted Solution
Just had a thought about what might be causing your problem...

As your using Win7? Go to 'Control Panel' select veiw by small icons' (Top right) and then choose 'Power Options'

What ever the Laptop is set to? 'Balnced' is more likely? Click the 'Edit plan settings' and under 'plugged in' look for 'Put computer to sleep:' and select 'Never'
You can chage this when all finished. Might not be right but it's worth checking.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DeAtomizer

45%
02 Rank
Progress
DeAtomizer
Accepted Solution

Your a good man sin-er! That has been done. I am going home tonight and follow your previous step by step procedure and let you know

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DeAtomizer

45%
02 Rank
Progress
DeAtomizer
Accepted Solution

Sat down last night after dinner and read through your step by step post. I have a few different video converters that I use. Some free and some paid for, but I did follow your steps and suggestions and I have to say it helped a lot and I now have DVD to MP4 on the PSP.

Ok, can I say this is not a simple process and not all DVD's can be used for this process.

G-Force for example does not contain just one movie folder. Its has like 30 of them and they are all around the 124 minute mark. WT!

Anyways, to cut along story short I ended up converting Ice Age 3 which did have just one main movie folder. I used DVD shrink to copy just the main movie file, followed by the converter software that I use (Leawo). Renamed the file MV400001.MP4 and placed it into the video folder in the PSP. Wammo, we have movies playing on the PSP and looks great I might add.

Many forums suggest placing the converted file into the MP_ROOT folder but that didn't work. It just came up with " Unsupported File"

So thanks again for your help sintax. Its what I needed to get my head around this.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RONNYNS

92%
06 Rank
Progress
RONNYNS
Accepted Solution

a old post but here is the solution to the none supported file format error....

i use this software -> http://www.wondershare.com/video-dvd-software/video-converter.html it have its own psp convert mode (if you don't want to pay for it, you can torrent it from the usually places, but i recommend you paying for it)). this software works flawless, if you have a mp4 file that will not work, then this software will fix it. you can also convert flv, avi, mpg to mp4, and that is all you need....

when converting dvd movies with dvd shrink or other software, why bother??.. if you own the dvd in the first place, go torrent the avi version (from the usually places) then convert it with 'wondershare video converter' to mp4 psp format... it takes from 1-2 hours depend on how big the file is...

there you have it 2 years later... the solution.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My PS3 career don't end in November 2013... Trey for life!
----
>>REMEMBER TO GIVE KUDOS IF YOU LIKE>>> Thumb up!
----

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel