Amanooo-

84%
01 Rank
Progress

Playstation 2 won't play Playstation 1 games or video DVDs

0 Replies 866 Views Created 13-11-2013
13 Nov 2013
By Amanooo-

Hello, I recently bought a secondhand PAL Playstation 2, a SCPH-50004. For some reason, it won't play video DVDs or Playstation 1 games. It does play audio CDs and PS2 games, and can even play the music on my X-Men: Mutant Academy disc when I press triangle after inserting it. Pressing X, which should play the game itself, however does not work. BTW, Triangle only plays audio data if it is a PS1 disc, on actual music CDs you have to press X to play audio, so the device does realise that the game is not an audio CD. The PS2 software calls the PS1 discs "Playstation 2 game" and shows a blue disc as an icon when such a game is inserted, while all other discs get a yellow icon. It does seem to recognise that it should be able to play PS1 games, but it just won't actually do it. Most topics on other websites imply a broken laser, but since it does play music off PS1 discs and does realise it is a game disc, and not a music CD, the laser itself appears to be working quite well. It does read the data itself quite well, it just won't execute data as a program if it's not a PS2 game.

Does anyone have an idea to make the device play PS1 gaes and video DVDs again?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel