existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress

The Official PS3 3D TV Recommendations Thread

92 Replies 11,623 Views Created 17-07-2010
17 Jul 2010
By existenz1

A lot of people are interested in this and its going to get even better.

So if you buy a 3D TV and start using it with your PS3, let us know here.

Dont forget to include make, model and TV size, what you like about it, what could be better and what games you have played in 3D using it.

Thanks and regards from all of us wanting and going into 3D land...

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution
Best 3DTV on sale is the Panasonic VT20, so if you can afford it and want 3D, it's the set to go for!
0 Kudos

Re: The Official PS3 3D TV Recommendations Thread

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Parv-B

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Parv-B
Accepted Solution

Well the 1 I'll probably get is the Samsung LE40C750R from John Lewis hopefully. Its the cheapest 1 I've found from a trustworthy store that we already know, so it seems like a good deal compared to the higher priced 3D Tv's.

Link: http://www.johnlewis.com/230962785/Product.aspx

Theres also the same model for £900 off this website:

Samsung 3D Tv LE40C750

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

orificer

80%
02 Rank
Progress
orificer
Accepted Solution

@James91 wrote:
Best 3DTV on sale is the Panasonic VT20, so if you can afford it and want 3D, it's the set to go for!

I went for the Samsung 55UEC8000, which in my opinion is a much better featured Tv. Like all the Samsung 3D tv's it has a 2D to 3D on the fly convertor, although not as good as full blown 3D, does a pretty good job on certain films & most games. On the fly 3D conversion of the World Cup  football through the internal HD freeview tuner was impressive.

It can be linked to PC media servers and/or play films etc from the USB sockets via hard drives, and has numerous internet TV applications. Initially there was considerable ghosting of the 3D images, but this has been almost eliminated with frequent firmware updates.

I considered the Panasonic as an option, although it does have a good picture, it has a much reduced spec of options (no 2d to 3d for starters), and next to the Samsung (or Sony & Lg), the design looks very dated.

The problem with shops like Curry's is that the 3D or HD source material is not the same to each make of 3DTV and can make a considerable difference when viewing content, coupled with the fact they may not be running with the most recent firmware or have been set up correctly.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

whereismax123

84%
05 Rank
Progress
whereismax123
Accepted Solution
all this ^^^ is on the c750 which can be bought for 850 at the shops . its still an lcd and not oled , but i have i have it.and i think its fantastic, there is still some ghosting on the 750 for the main reason that its an lcd , but i don really notice that much
0 Kudos

Free Image Hosting

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

trubadman

89%
04 Rank
Progress
trubadman
Accepted Solution

@whereismax123 wrote:
all this ^^^ is on the c750 which can be bought for 850 at the shops . its still an lcd and not oled , but i have i have it.and i think its fantastic, there is still some ghosting on the 750 for the main reason that its an lcd , but i don really notice that much

You tried it out with any PS3 games & what d'you think.  I'm in the market for a new TV and had this model in mind because it's the cheapest 3D available atm!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mekismo

76%
04 Rank
Progress
Mekismo
Accepted Solution

I popped into my local Curry's today to purchase a new TV (sadly not a 3D TV as I cannot afford one). The sales guy let me checkout that Panasonic 50" 3D TV and it was AMAZING!!!

The picture is fantastic nothing like the rubbish 3D that they had on Channel 4 a few months back.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

deltaman-3

92%
02 Rank
Progress
deltaman-3
Accepted Solution

3D not for me.i allready were glass's,so havin to wear 3D glass's over mine will give me a headache.if sony are sure about 3D.then why havnt microsoft jumped on the band wagon....im holdin out for touch screen tv's give it 5 yrs....:Peace:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Parv-B

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Parv-B
Accepted Solution

@Mekismo wrote:

I popped into my local Curry's today to purchase a new TV (sadly not a 3D TV as I cannot afford one). The sales guy let me checkout that Panasonic 50" 3D TV and it was AMAZING!!!

The picture is fantastic nothing like the rubbish 3D that they had on Channel 4 a few months back.

Your lucky! What did you watch, and what kind of effects were going on?

Btw, (applies to anyone) how can you find out whether your local Currys/PC World is displaying 3D Tv's or not, because I'd like to give 3D  a go to decide if 3D is for me

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mekismo

76%
04 Rank
Progress
Mekismo
Accepted Solution

@Parv-B wrote:

@Mekismo wrote:

Your lucky! What did you watch, and what kind of effects were going on?

Btw, (applies to anyone) how can you find out whether your local Currys/PC World is displaying 3D Tv's or not, because I'd like to give 3D  a go to decide if 3D is for me

I think it was Monsters Inc. it just looked amazing, it's hard to explain but i'll try. The picture quality is the same as blu-ray yet for example the characters stood out, like when one is standing infront of the other you can clearly see this.

I really want a 3D TV now   :|

Currys have a list of stores on their website that show where you can demo a 3D TV: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/3DTV-Display-Availability-845-commercial.html

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Parv-B

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Parv-B
Accepted Solution

Arghhh!!! No displays in Coventry:smileysad:

Guess I'm going to have to go to the Sony centre instead

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

@Parv-B wrote:

Arghhh!!! No displays in Coventry:smileysad:

Guess I'm going to have to go to the Sony centre instead

My local Currys isn't listed on there but they have the C8000 doing 3D demos. If you pop in they'll probably have one on I'd say.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

@orificer wrote:

@James91 wrote:

I went for the Samsung 55UEC8000, which in my opinion is a much better featured Tv. Like all the Samsung 3D tv's it has a 2D to 3D on the fly convertor, although not as good as full blown 3D, does a pretty good job on certain films & most games. On the fly 3D conversion of the World Cup  football through the internal HD freeview tuner was impressive.

It can be linked to PC media servers and/or play films etc from the USB sockets via hard drives, and has numerous internet TV applications. Initially there was considerable ghosting of the 3D images, but this has been almost eliminated with frequent firmware updates.

I considered the Panasonic as an option, although it does have a good picture, it has a much reduced spec of options (no 2d to 3d for starters), and next to the Samsung (or Sony & Lg), the design looks very dated.

The problem with shops like Curry's is that the 3D or HD source material is not the same to each make of 3DTV and can make a considerable difference when viewing content, coupled with the fact they may not be running with the most recent firmware or have been set up correctly.

The only thing the VT20 loses out on there is the on-the-fly conversion of 2D-3D, which can look good with some things yes, but it's not something I'd want to use that often. Up in my local Currys they had two C8000's out on display, one doing a 3D BR demo and the other doing the on the fly conversion. When you're watching the specially chosen material it does a great job, but I thought a lot of it was poor when you switched to some of the more regular 3D channels.

Much of the “feel” came from the novelty of wearing the glasses and observing the different look that the active shutters gave the on-screen image. The effect is not entirely convincing, however if 3D does take off the technology probably will improve.

For outright picture quality, it is the Panasonic over any other 3DTV out there, the benefits of plasma do shine through again.

The Sunday Times had a good comparison of 3DTV's today, I'll scan it and stick it up on here later on if anyone wants a peak at it :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

This is that excerpt from The Sunday Times I was talking about earlier

Copyright The Sunday Times

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Daveyboy69

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Daveyboy69
Accepted Solution

@James91 wrote:

Have to agree, i had a good play with the samsung and the panasonic  and  was that impressed by the VT20 i went with the panasonic. The panasonic beat it in every way, freeview/freesat, skyHD, bluray, dvd, ps3 games, 3d games/movies. Far superior set, well worth the extra money.

0 Kudos

PSN ID: daveyboy69
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Black Ops, New Vegas
LOVING 3D GAMING

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
existenz1
Accepted Solution

I was reading avforums on the panasonic vt20. Great 50" 3D TV but at £2499 on Amazon right now I will have to wait for it to come down in price !!!

I did read that some Samsungs have all these modes for displaying 3D images.

No idea if this is industry standard now for 3D or if this is important or an area of choice etc. thoughts ?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

trubadman

89%
04 Rank
Progress
trubadman
Accepted Solution

For me personally, the thing that would make me question my decision to purchase this tv set is the input lag.  It doesn't bother some, whilst others complain that their 5 year old sets are more responsive.  It would be useful to get more people's opinions about the input lag to make a better informed decision of whether to purchase this tv or not.  Thanks 

Only negative things about c750 according to HDTV Test:

It should also be noted that, as with the C8000, the 3D modes on the Samsung LE40C750 are 60hz-centric. This means that any 50hz content (that means all European TV broadcasts) will show with fairly obvious motion stutter when the LE40C750 is in 3D mode. We tried using the TV’s own motion compensation (“Motion Plus”) system to curtail the judder, but this wasn’t too successful. We imagine this is going to be a big problem, given that 3D sports (with their fast, fluid camera pans) are being pushed as one of the key drivers for 3D TV! Likewise, 24p film material also has a slightly juddery look. Panasonic’s VT20 3D Plasma has so far been the only display to overcome this, with it having an option to reproduce the 24hz input at a multiple of the input frame rate, resulting in smooth motion.

There is another issue with 3D content which we also noticed on the UE46C8000, and that is the quality of the scaling in 3D mode. If the 3D content you’re watching uses the “Side by Side” technique (where the Left and Right eye images are crammed into one 2D image and then scaled by the TV to create a stereoscopic 3D picture for output), fine details appear somewhat pixellated. The best 3D experience on any 3D display will be had with “Full HD 3D” content, such as from Blu-ray 3D, but on Samsung’s displays, “Side by Side” material looks worse than it ideally would. The two above issues (50hz judder and below-par scaling of Side by Side 3D material) will be of great concern to anyone interested in 3D broadcasting services from Sky, or similar providers across Europe, because these broadcasts will share both of these traits.

The Samsung LE40C750 lags by about 41ms with [Game Mode] enabled, which is enough to cause problems with games requiring lightning-quick reflexes. Slower-paced games were still a lot of fun on this display, but “one hit and you’re dead” online games were more frustrating than they were enjoyable. We really hope that more manufacturers recognise how big an issue input lag is and reduce it for future models, because there are really only two brands who seem to be catering to gamers at the moment.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Glitch321

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Glitch321
Accepted Solution

Yeah, the reason I have not bought a 3D TV is the input lag and price. The Samsung has really bad input lag. The Panasonic Plasma is good with about 16ms of input lag, I think. The problem is it costs about 2000 pounds and I don't think any TV is worth that price. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
existenz1
Accepted Solution

any more recommendations

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Manfonse

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Manfonse
Accepted Solution

I bought the Samsung UE46C7000 3D LED. I got that and the starter kit for £1800 - bargain considering the TV is £2000 alone. I love the 3D gaming, an the 2D to 3D converter is excellent. And bagged a further pair of glasses from the Samsung Connect website for free.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mitchari

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Mitchari
Accepted Solution

On samsung tv's is the serial number only on back of of tv ?

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel