02 Rank
Progress

[bug report] PlayTV freezes after new broadcast channel appears

[ Edited ]
19 Replies 2,548 Views edited 19-12-2011
19 Dec 2011
By bright_mage

Hi,

Recently my PlayTV would freeze each time I would start it, after a few seconds. Trying to stop it would result in the PS3 restarting.

I finally fixed it by starting it with the antenna unplugged then launching a channel search.

This is the second time it happens, and it coincides with my TV tuner telling that a new DVB channel was detected and asking for a channel search.

So I tend to think that the new channel appearing is the cause of PlayTV freezing.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

I hope this can help some of you.

Cheers

Edit: I don't know if this is relevant, but as DVB is not the same in all countries: I'm in France

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

megacity48

46%
02 Rank
Progress
megacity48
Accepted Solution

Yes I have got the same problem and I have been trying to figure it out for a week or so now.

I re scanned my Play TV for new channels as I knew over here in UK, there was a new Channel 5+1 available. I also had the option to enrol on an internet based Tv programme share site ( cant remember what it was called) which I accepted. However, since then  PlayTV freezes sometimes on the carousel, in the Scheduler and BBC channels are now stuttering. Sometimes even, the screen goes blank and I have to reset the PS 3 at the electricity source and then it performs a restore ( which cannot be good for my poor old PS 3).

I have looked on all the forums and tried deleting and re installing but I still get the same problem after a while. I am even running the latest Play TV 2.03 version as well.

The fact that you have the same problem leads me to believe that the re scanning  of channelsI did has made a real mess of it all -

Has anyone else out there had this problem recently and if so how did you fix it permanently?

SONY - Are you aware of this??

0 Kudos

Re: [bug report] PlayTV freezes after new broadcast channel appears

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

hgwells

• MVP
93%
09 Rank
Progress
hgwells
Accepted Solution

I've got to say that the Channel 5+1 re-scan worked ok for me.

The latest issue I had with PlayTv was on Sunday night. I had scheduled a number of recordings. However, on Monday morning, the ps3 was still on, and still "recording", although the system was unresponsive. As it turned out, none of the programmes had recorded.

Btw, if you think you ps3 has locked up (slim models), don't EVER turn it off at the wall socket. Hold the power button for 15 seconds (slow count in your head). This will ALWAYS turn your ps3 off, in a controlled manner.

Your "stuttering" issues could be due to signal strength problems. Surprisinly, PlayTv can suffer from too strong a signal. Check your signal strength next time you run a channel scan. If the signal strength is consistently at 100%, you might need an attenuator.

Alternatively, if your signal is too weak (usually < 70% starts to cause problems), you may need a signal booster.

Given that an extra channel has ben shoehorned into the Freeview lineup, maybe the other channels have suffered a signal strength drop at your local transmitter.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

megacity48

46%
02 Rank
Progress
megacity48
Accepted Solution
Hgwells - OK Thanks for the advice regarding the PS3 locking up issue. The signal strength is a bit weak some of the time but I got round it by choosing alternative channels as my favourite eg 800 for BBC1 as they are a stronger signal.

However, despite re installing Play TV, I still get it freezing within the menus etc - I guess I will just have to live with that.As for your issue, I have never come across that myself or even seen it on any of the forums. It makes me wonder if sectors on our PS3 hard drives are permanently corrupted as a result of something happening with Play TV in the pastand that it is just a case of living with it or maybe do a PS3 format but thats far too drastic I guess!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

g_geezer

21%
02 Rank
Progress
g_geezer
Accepted Solution
Hi, my play tv has been freezing regularly and having to turn it off ver the mains!!! I have 3 ps3 and have tried play tv on them all, all have same problem and I have tried swooping USB leads!

Either play tv has become faulty or SONY is due for a PLAY TV UPDATE!!!!!!

SONY sort your software out PLEASE!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Jed-Is-Dead

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Jed-Is-Dead
Accepted Solution

EXACTLT the same problem. Re-scanned to get Channel 5+1 , and now Play TV freezes up and crashes ALL the time. Tried reinstalling it - no joy there either.

Hope this gets sorted as I rely on Play TV a lot ! I also hope more people come forward whi have been having the same issue.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!! 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ryukin6

80%
02 Rank
Progress
ryukin6
Accepted Solution
I have the same issue. It's really frustrating!! I've even deleted and re-installed PlayTV at the cost of losing all my recorded programs and it still hasn't worked. In fact if anything it may even be worse. Please release a fix!!!!
0 Kudos

PSN ID: ryukin6

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ryukin6

80%
02 Rank
Progress
ryukin6
Accepted Solution
Ok so now Play TV freezes every 5 minutes and I keep having to restart the PS3 everytime. This sucks. Not happy.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
98%
06 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

@ryukin6 wrote:
Ok so now Play TV freezes every 5 minutes and I keep having to restart the PS3 everytime. This sucks. Not happy.

You would not happen to live in Meridian TV area would you. 

Just wondering as we were the last to go digital only, which has been forcing lots of rescans for digital boxes over the last month. 3 in total. In one month.

0 Kudos

Bye bye lithium forums.
EU forum is still to move away from lithium. just been delayed
No change till after Easter
https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Off-Topic/IMPORTANT-We-are-moving-our-forum-to-a-new-platform/m-p/26002595#M1639081

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

I have had problems like that with play tv & normal freeveiw boxes & worked out it's down to electrical interference.

If your ariel runs next electrical wires for say tv or ps3 it seems to cause juddering & freezing.

Try arranging it so your electrical wires come from the opposite direction to the ariel it should cut down on the problems but won't fix it fully.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DMSpider

29%
02 Rank
Progress
DMSpider
Accepted Solution

Got exactly the same problem! Been like it for at least a week now, all seemed to start after a channel scan. Have tried reinstalling and not updating, which prevents it from freezing during the loading screen - but after a period of watching it freezes anyway!

Any ideas?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ryukin6

80%
02 Rank
Progress
ryukin6
Accepted Solution
I've fixed it. This may sound strange, but do you all have booster ariels? I had my ariel cable going from the play tv box in to a booster box and then in to the ariel wall socket. I've now removed the booster and plugged play tv directly in to the ariel wall socket and it's working perfectly. It sounds like an odd fix but maybe the booster can't handle the new digital signal and messes up play tv.

Give it a try. Hope it works for you.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

deano1012

48%
02 Rank
Progress
deano1012
Accepted Solution

I have the same problem and i have deleted Playtv and all the setting and installed it as new and after setting everything up it worked for a while and now it has got the freezing problem back again!! i don't believe having a booster would make this problem as it was fine before the retuning the only thing i can think it could be is there is a problem with the BBC channels as they have moved. Sony you need to look into this!! It is making Playtv impossable to use!!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ryukin6

80%
02 Rank
Progress
ryukin6
Accepted Solution
Ok, I thought I'd fixed it but maybe not. It was working fine for about a week and then froze twice. It's not as often as it was but any freezing is too much because you have to restart the playstation everytime. :(
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

deano1012

48%
02 Rank
Progress
deano1012
Accepted Solution

After a few days of nothing happening I think I have found out when it mostly happens!! when I am recording something then i go and mark off something that i would like to record later then it will lock up and I have to shut down the system and i then get three beeps and it will restart! I hope Sony sort this out soon!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

deano1012

48%
02 Rank
Progress
deano1012
Accepted Solution

well if Sony is looking to do anything I recon they will wait until after the 18th as we will all need to retune again!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

deano1012

48%
02 Rank
Progress
deano1012
Accepted Solution

well I retuned my Playtv and set it up as new and everything seems to have gone back to normal! I will post again if there is any change.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ryukin6

80%
02 Rank
Progress
ryukin6
Accepted Solution
Don't let it fool you Deano! It will freeze again eventually. I keep thinking I've found a fix and then a few days later it's frozen again.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KayZee46

22%
02 Rank
Progress
KayZee46
Accepted Solution

A few weeks ago PlayTV deleted my entire library for no reason. Now it is crashing a lot, even when simply coming out of live TV into the main menu, usually needs completely resetting the PS3. This means if anything's recording, it fails. This is so frustrating... please Sony we need a fix!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
22%
02 Rank
Progress
monster-gamer786
Accepted Solution
Hello, every time my ps3 keeps starting up balck then it works fine but as soon as i play a game or acsses somthing it freezese and ive tryed re setting it and swithching it off.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel