04 Rank
Progress

The next few months in SCEE Home

[ Edited ]
192 Replies 15,879 Views edited 12-05-2009
12 May 2009
By TedTheDog

Content production priority change

Let's be honest, SCEE Home is behind the other regions in the number of Spaces we have to offer. That's not to say we dont have some really good clothing and furniture, we've actually got some excellent partners in the Shopping Centre. And we've also got Red Bull and Xi (the latter still has some way to run and some more surprises to bring you.) And Red Bull have another trick up their sleeve too...

But overall, we're short on Spaces in general. In isolation we dont think this makes SCEE Home a bad place but we fully understand the regional comparisons and why they're made.

In the spirit of openess being requested of us, and that we've committed to, we're going to say what we're going to do about this and in short, we're going to switch our priorities to the production of Spaces for the forseeable future. We will continue to support our partners in the Shopping Centre but our primary focus will be to improve our output and range of Spaces.

The transition from one to the other will take some time but we acknowledge that trying to do both lines (Spaces and Content) at the same time is something we do not have the resources to do currently here in the SCEE team. We have just recruited a new Production Assistant to help tackle this and once this person starts and is up to speed you should start to see improvements.

I should also mention that the SCEE Home team is entirely seperate from that of the Core Home team, the guys who build and develop the engine. They sit in World Wide Studios rather than SCEE. Each region has its own team and the Core Home team delivers the base service and client to the regional teams, who then bring their own content to the service.

Our first task is to get up to date on some of the older content that we've been missing for a while now. For example, Uncharted and  Warhawk and the update to the Resident Evil 5 space. Then bring you some of the more recent spaces like Guitar Hero and then finally ensure we're able to release new Spaces at the same time as the other regions whenever possible, and theres a few of those coming your way.

The SCEE Home Producer is currently investigating 17 spaces in all but I dont believe all would be suitable and therefore not all would be published here. The timeline for this is probably about the next 2 to 4 months and there is likely to be a drop in output before it starts to really pick up and improve.

Communication

The second change to discuss is the way we talk about our new content. As explained in another thread recently, right now we wait until  the very last moment so we know what is going to be published. And it's at this point we write the messages and get them translated and this leads to last minute communication or even, as we've seen recently, the content being released before the communication.

What we're going to try and do in the future is quite a big change in that we're going to aim to communicate what's coming to Home in SCEE one week in advance.

Instead of waiting until the last minute we will be asking the production team to commit to a package to be published, as best they can, about 2 weeks in advance. We then write up the messages about this content and localise it, (which takes 1-4 days depending on text length, but 2 days is the norm) and then publish in the forums, hopefully on the Thursday the week before.

Sometimes things will fall out of the publication package at the last minute, 2 weeks is a long time in content production.

This means we will publish what we intend to bring to you about a week in advance and any last minute changes to this plan will be communicated at the last minute. This may be a better experience for everyone than messaging everything at the last minute when we know for sure whats going to be published. There will be disappointments when content fails at the last minute and you've been looking forward to it for a week, but you'll be much better informed overall.

Message Edited by TedTheDog on 12-05-2009 11:38 AM
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nextgen22

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Nextgen22
Accepted Solution
Great, about time we had some game spaces, i think 17 is a good number only if they are new spaces aswell as the old spaces, i dont want to complain here but dont you think Uncharted space is outdated since Among Thives is arriving in september! will they update the space from the 2 games or not?  only hope it will have KZ2 & Ghostbusters spaces its the only top 2 im aiming to download atm unless there's Socom spaces coming aswell.
0 Kudos

Re: The next few months in SCEE Home

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

timmyd46

66%
03 Rank
Progress
timmyd46
Accepted Solution
wow this is great news i look forward to seeing these changes in the future
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Skookie30

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Skookie30
Accepted Solution
*on topic* THNX TTD & SCEE so now we wait 2 content soon & updates a week early 1 thing will the 1.20 core client still go ahead, *off-topic* plz PLZ SCEE will you realease vidzone this thursday as it says on official eu.playstation COMMING SOON. :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

loonytoon1982

• Beta Tester
99%
07 Rank
Progress
loonytoon1982
Accepted Solution

@TedTheDog wrote:

Instead of waiting until the last minute we will be asking the production team to commit to a package to be published, as best they can, about 2 weeks in advance. We then write up the messages about this content and localise it, (which takes 1-4 days depending on text length, but 2 days is the norm) and then publish in the forums, hopefully on the Thursday the week before.

Sometimes things will fall out of the publication package at the last minute, 2 weeks is a long time in content production.

Thanks for the information Ted but I would like to take the opportunity to suggest something about the section I've quoted.

To avoid confusion I would suggest that the update info be posted on a Monday afternoon on the week that the content is due.

Kinda like "Coming this week on Home" followed by the update information and a disclaimer at the bottom mentioning that the content list is subject to last minute changes. We'll know what to expect that week and with the disclaimer in place it gives a little leniancy and less room for complaints if something does go wrong.

It would be a lot better to start the week off with the information as I think posting it on a Thursday will only serve as a method of confusion for some thinking it was that days update.

I say this as someone who has been critical of Home recently but I feel that it would go a long way in improving spirits around the community.

0 Kudos

---------------------------

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

l_skynet_l

81%
05 Rank
Progress
l_skynet_l
Accepted Solution
Thanks Ted and the team, this is great news! I just hope the spaces arent all like the Far Cry one! :P
0 Kudos

BF3 Stats

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
97%
05 Rank
Progress
SurrealNightmare
Accepted Solution
I realise that the Disgaea 3 home space is probably one of the spaces you don't see worthwhile bringing over to the European Home, but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the space looks really cool and interesting and that we'd love to have it over here eventually. :(
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LFC1984

84%
02 Rank
Progress
LFC1984
Accepted Solution
Fantastic news, the Home team should be applauded. It's just a shame that there had to be public outrage before things changed lol.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Ursinho

78%
05 Rank
Progress
Ursinho
Accepted Solution
Sounds excellent, almost too good. i guess i can finally buy siren now!
0 Kudos

My requests for SONY: 1) Integrate PlayStation3 and your 400 disc MEGACHANGER, Im way too lazy to switch game BDs, u could call it forexample MEGASTATION. 2) Build Specialized Fat-AiBO which has MEGASTATION in belly and two projectors as eyes for 3D projection in any given room of the house. You can call them PLAiBO.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bonyman

71%
05 Rank
Progress
Bonyman
Accepted Solution

Well done Ted , that's the kind of communication we've been waiting for, and i reckon you've wanted to post this before now but had to wait for authorisation. It must be frustrating for you at times seeing the mood of the community and not being able to answer or say something, until you have first ok'd it with X amount of depts/colleagues.
Anyway, Kudos indeed.
Now that's enough communication....... time to get back to work ;)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
98%
03 Rank
Progress
TheLastDestroyer
Accepted Solution
Kudos'd as always :) Nice job.
0 Kudos

News Manager of Ultimate Playstation | Twitter: LastDestroyer

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

guyvernoid22

83%
04 Rank
Progress
guyvernoid22
Accepted Solution

Wow TedTheDog great news! IM glad to see the home team finally communicating let this continue and improve and evolve in to something better even if it takes us 4 - 6 months, I want to see our Home to be the greatest we can offer and I believe with the community & with the home team we can make this the best home.

at the end of the day we are all part of SCEE and I want us to be the ones to say we have the best spaces we have the best items in the shopping center it should be SCEE bragging what's coming, and I know you guys at SCEE can achieve this maybe not now but in the long run it can be done.

once again TedTheDog thanks for the info, oh but just a quick one about the content that was coming this week hasn't got anything to do with killzone2 by any chance has it? :D

0 Kudos

[Status of the day: Helghan conquered!] KUDOS POWER [Clan: HKI ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Taz-666

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Taz-666
Accepted Solution

Kudos to TTD and the Home team great to see the new open-ness and change of focus.

My only critical comment for what has been done the past few weeks with the Q&As and change in direction would be that it might have been wise to let the forum know that the StageSet space wasn't comming. If it was hoped to be ready but didn't make it then this info would have done and stopped the speculation, especially after getting the EA Sports space in an unfinished form the same time as the USA.

PS any chance of a few clues as what is planned for the next core client update :D New spaces are great but new functionality can be used throughout Home.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ESHAM976

83%
04 Rank
Progress
ESHAM976
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

euro psn: gravedigga-976
Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CRUNKR1S

94%
05 Rank
Progress
CRUNKR1S
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Photobucket 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

photofusion

64%
02 Rank
Progress
photofusion
Accepted Solution
thanks for the update ted its good to know that things are going to get better:smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

vales12

36%
02 Rank
Progress
vales12
Accepted Solution
What about the other countries that doesn't have access to Home?Do you plan to open it for all european countries or it will be like playstation store?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Yehia18

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Yehia18
Accepted Solution
I feel all tingly and warm inside. :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sinister1JP

97%
07 Rank
Progress
Sinister1JP
Accepted Solution
Sure you don't need the bathroom, Yehia? :O
0 Kudos

Games I own: Afrika, Assassin's Creed, Eye, of Judgement, FIFA '08, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Spec. III, Heavenly Sword, MotorStorm, Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest For Booty, SEGA Mega Drive Collection, Shaun White Snowboarding, Silent Hill: Homecoming, SOCOM: Confrontation, Street Fighter IV, WipeOut HD....and more!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

Glad to see you listen to us.

Hope this change over runs smoothly for you, and your focus on providing new spaces pays off.

Acquiring new spaces will bring in more people to the service. With a larger user base the number of micro 

transaction will increase. This in turn will allow you to increase you team size and get on top of the content 

that is avaliable to you and get it published.

Good luck guys

Message Edited by FluxZero on 13-05-2009 07:47 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BigHairyMonster

96%
02 Rank
Progress
BigHairyMonster
Accepted Solution
Im really happy about the news too and whilst reading this thread i had an idea. Maybe a voting system could be added to the forums where we could vote on which spaces and features the dev team could concentrate on getting out first. Im not sure if it would be possibe as i dont know how the development team work but it would give the community a chance to have an inluence on how things turn out in the future. Afterall its better to live in a democracy than a dictatorship lol
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Pacman_Ownage

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank