71%
02 Rank
Progress

PSP Skype Video Calling?

13 Replies 23,713 Views Created 21-03-2009
21 Mar 2009
By Pyros09

Hi,

I heard a rumour that the latest firmware upgrade supposrts video calling on PSP for Skype. Can anyone please confirm?

If so I'm gonna buy one as it saves me lugging my 10 tonne laptop all around the country!

If anyone has actually got it working and can confirm that would be even more perfect.

cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gfjyf

36%
02 Rank
Progress
gfjyf
Accepted Solution
You heard correctly, the PSP 2000 & 3000 support Skype. However, even with the camera for the psp it is not possible to have video calls. Also, skype cannot run in the background - you cannot do anything else (eg listen to music, watch movies, play games, etc) while skype is running.
0 Kudos

Re: PSP Skype Video Calling?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pyros09

71%
02 Rank
Progress
Pyros09
Accepted Solution
Cheers for the response. A mate of mine from work said the latest firmware 5.03 now has video as an option under Skype? Is he spinning or is it true?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pyros09

71%
02 Rank
Progress
Pyros09
Accepted Solution
Anyone?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

joelbaby

25%
02 Rank
Progress
joelbaby
Accepted Solution

Hi Pyros,

it seems strange that nobody from Sony bothers to reply.

I bought a Sony PSP Go!Cam today ... hoping to use Skype with video calling.

I have not found a way to make video calling work because skype does not have a video option.

Even on the Go!Cam box it says that it is ready for Go!connect which is a video calling system... but guess what.. that was discontinued on 31st march .. 3 weeks ago.

So the embarassing thing for Sony is that video calling DID work when you posted your original message.  But now it doesn't.

Thank you so much Sony for removing features from 2 pieces of hardware.

I guess I just have to throw the webcam in the bin.  It is 1.1MP which is less quality than most phones, and features a distorted image.  I would have accepted the distortion for internet video, but no way is it ok for pictures.

If anyone from Sony would care to reply WITH A SOLUTION then that would be ......miraculous?

However, since they didn't bother replying to the original poster, then all I can do i try all the 'support' channels that Sony provide and try and get a solution.

Joel Green

Perth

Australia.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cyba_Cowboy

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Cyba_Cowboy
Accepted Solution
Just to clarify that (because you originally asked about Skype itself, and not video-calling in general), Skype on the PSP (PlayStation Portable) does not support video-calls at this stage, and I have just confirmed this on my PSP-3000 running version 5.50...

Skype-to-Skype, SkypeIn and SkypeOut voice-calls are all supported however.

Go! Connect on the other hand, did support video-calling, though this service was recently discontinued and is automatically removed from the firmware when you upgrade to version 5.50 or higher...
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kapow_

84%
02 Rank
Progress
kapow_
Accepted Solution

@Cyba_Cowboy wrote:
Just to clarify that (because you originally asked about Skype itself, and not video-calling in general), Skype on the PSP (PlayStation Portable) does not support video-calls at this stage, and I have just confirmed this on my PSP-3000 running version 5.50...

Skype-to-Skype, SkypeIn and SkypeOut voice-calls are all supported however.

Go! Connect on the other hand, did support video-calling, though this service was recently discontinued and is automatically removed from the firmware when you upgrade to version 5.50 or higher...

is there a reason why they removed go-messenger? like not many people were using it? i found it pretty handy since I live in the city and easier then carrying a pda/laptop
0 Kudos

I upload Call of Duty Ghosts comedy clips!
http://www.youtube.com/user/harrokapow

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pyros09

71%
02 Rank
Progress
Pyros09
Accepted Solution

Cheers for the responses. I'm really only interested in the PSP if it has video Skype as it would be brilliant for when I travel. I get free cellphone through work so cant justify it for voice calls.

I wonder if the specs are too low to support this function?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Jenzaber

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Jenzaber
Accepted Solution

Well i think its safe to say that the specs are ok for idea since the older psp generations had that Go Cam. 

With that all you needed was a psp camera and a wireless connection along with a Go Cam Account basic stuff really.

I honestly don't think it would take much for Sony to add in a video function. if anything it would most likey increase psp sales and interest. I dont think us current and up and coming psp gamers will ever get to the bottom of this since as far as I know not one person from sony seems to want to comment on the idea or progress of if there is any.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Guillermo999

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Guillermo999
Accepted Solution
I recorded videos of my classes, I used to upload to youtube but I can also read books *. pdf, listen to music while I make skype calls or anything, I have karaoke, I have my wakeup alarm, guitar tuner, google maps, I can write letters and ave the files as *. txt or *. pdf, that is my life, music, photos, videos, everything is in a PSP. The worst thing is that I can't do video conferencing, and this gives me a lot of laughter. My console is amazing, but progress has been made by other people outside of Sony.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

oeht321

21%
02 Rank
Progress
oeht321
Accepted Solution

yes it does steve

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kapow_

84%
02 Rank
Progress
kapow_
Accepted Solution
Why did you reply to a thread that is over 3 years old? Do you think Steve was waiting that long for an answer?
0 Kudos

I upload Call of Duty Ghosts comedy clips!
http://www.youtube.com/user/harrokapow

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bevanthegreat

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Bevanthegreat
Accepted Solution

I am actually planning on buying the psp cam. But I don't know whether skype would work with psp cam to easily communicate with friends of min plus I also wantto play eye pet on my psp.

If there is any upgrade to be known please tell me and how does it work is it good or bad i'm only 10 so help me a little 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Hello Bevanthegreat,

I do not think the PSP supports Skype video calls. Also you cannot play Eyepet on your PSP.

What model is your PSP?

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel