Raima21

60%
02 Rank
Progress

Skype on PSP

14 Replies 2,147 Views Created 09-10-2008
09 Oct 2008
By Raima21
I just noticed skype was introduced on the PSP 2000.

Does any one use it? If you do how do you find it?

If you don't, what are the reasons for it?
0 Kudos
LABELS:
www.ps3trophies.co.uk
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

choochootrain29

45%
02 Rank
Progress
choochootrain29
Accepted Solution

Hi,

I have a PSP PHAT and was very disappointed when the firmware update only mentioned that Skype is only compatible on the newer PSPs.
Nevertheless, Skype is for you to call people who are also logged onto skype (on computer/mobile phone/PSP) or if u've got paid for credit then you may call (i think) most landlines/mobiles at a reasonably low rate.

However, you must be connected to a wireless access point which is connect to the interenet, and since u've got the PSP 2000 (i assume it is the slim one which came after the PHAT) u'll need to have a headset-thingy connecting to ur PSP.

However, if u get the new PSP3000, apparently they have incorporated the microphone onto the psp and reduces the wires.

0 Kudos

Re: Skype on PSP

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SanguineDoll

84%
02 Rank
Progress
SanguineDoll
Accepted Solution

Skype on my PSP is weirdly awesome. I called my brother from the hotspot near work, and he laughed at me because I called him on my PSP. I actually have Skype on my PC at home, so this is fairly useful for me.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cyba_Cowboy

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Cyba_Cowboy
Accepted Solution

I don't use landlines, I only use my cell phone and Skype... Being that I have a monthly account with Skype, I can make unlimited calls to landlines in Australia for about $10/month (this is in addition to my free Skype calls), which is rather convenient being that I'm frequently away from Family due to work.

I onyl wish I could find this ***** (official) PSP (PlayStation Portable) Slim & Lite earphones with the microphone and remote-control that Sony keep suggesting...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

choochootrain29

45%
02 Rank
Progress
choochootrain29
Accepted Solution

Is the skype paid service reliable? And what does that $10/month goes towards if it is unlimited landlines in Australia.

In regards to the headphone+mic. I dunno if the headset for the SOCOM FIRETEAM BRAVO HEADSET work for the SKYPE on ur psp. If so, it'd be so awesome, its a much nicer headset than a standard headphones+mic. Google that headset, u'll know what i'm talking about. The headset gets connected to the remote control, and from memory the headset is from SONY, with great bass and clarity.

I have that headset but my PSP is the FAT+old version so I didnt bother finding the headset eversince I found out that my psp doesnt support the skype.

I guess you can trade in ur psp for a new one with where the mic. is installed into the psp.

i just google "socom fireteam bravo headset" found an image for you.
http://cache.kotaku.com/gaming/images/PSP_Headset_small.jpg

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

PAPO1990

• Beta Tester
87%
04 Rank
Progress
PAPO1990
Accepted Solution
get the go cam so you can video call as well
0 Kudos

Walking Under Stars

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cyba_Cowboy

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Cyba_Cowboy
Accepted Solution
Skype has a new pricing structure, which primarily revoles around two "subscriptions" (though there is a pay-as-you-go option available also)... Neither is bound by a fixed contract (ie. you're not locked-in).

Option 1: Unlimited Country
* Price - €3.95/month (approx. $AU7.75)
* Includes - Unlimited calls to landlines in one of 34 countries (nominated at the time of purchase; usually one's home country); an online number (formerly called "SkypeIn"), allowing others to call you from a "normal" phone; voicemail and Skype to Go (where available; heavily discounted overseas calls from any "normal" phone).

Option 2: Unlimited World
* Price - €8.95/month (approx. $AU17.58)
* Includes - Unlimited calls to landlines in 36 countries world-wide; an online number (formerly called "SkypeIn"), allowing others to call you from a "normal" phone; voicemail and Skype to Go (where available; heavily discounted overseas calls from any "normal" phone).

Your Skype account, paid or not, can be moved between computers and compatible devices; you can also optionally purchase "Skype-compatible" telephones to use the services from ~$AU100-500, depending on how fancy your want the phone (eg. color screens, extra handsets, etc)... ***** Smith is a local company that sells one such product (it costs about $AU150) and there are others available online for varying prices.

And as to the question whether Skype is reliable or not, absolutely... Never had a problem with it!

Note: All of the prices and features mentioned above were correct at the time of writing (1344AEDST, 19-JAN-2008) and based directly on the information available at the Skype Web site... Pricing is subject to change, and a fair-usage policy applies.

* Skype Web site: http://www.skype.com.au
* Skype subscriptions: http://www.skype.com/go/subscriptions?cm_sp=sv|subscription-_-shop_index-_-Pick_subscription|en_AU
* Buy Skype credit (pay-as-you-go): http://www.skype.com/go/store.buy.skypecredit?cm_sp=sv|credit-_-shop_index-_-Buy_credit|en_AU
* Fair-usgae policy: http://www.skype.com/go/terms.fairusage
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

choochootrain29

45%
02 Rank
Progress
choochootrain29
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the info.

I might consider it.

Mainly because my parents want to call overseas and teh quality of the CallCards often get disconnected. If we  use the TELSTRA long distance call service, its very very reliable but also VERY VERY expensive.

I need a cheap alternative to calling overseas with a reliable and clear service provider.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cyba_Cowboy

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Cyba_Cowboy
Accepted Solution

Welll Skype is definately reliable and quality-wise it's pretty much the same as a landline... It's also a LOT cheaper (as can be seen above).

I would suggest though, getting a headset if you plan on using it through a PSP (PlayStation Portable) - without a headset of some description, the volume's awful!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

choochootrain29

45%
02 Rank
Progress
choochootrain29
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the info.

I have the PSP FAT so skype is not an option... and i don't want to trade my PSP for another thinner and flimsier version, plus, who would want to buy my Logitech hard plastic case anyways..

I'm considering getting a pair of headphones with a mic, for the iPod Touch and use Skype via fring on that and use WiFi instead.

value of my PSP if sold ~ <$100
logitech PSP case if sold ~ free

instead, I can hop on over to Apple and buy a pair of headphones with mic for the iPod Touch and SKYPE OUT for $48.

BRAND LOYALTY?? lol. Sony PSP better start getting their stuff together such as DIVX support for the PSP. They already have it for the PS3.

I've only been using skype for skype to skype calls and video calls. I haven't paid since I dont know if its a reliable service.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cyba_Cowboy

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Cyba_Cowboy
Accepted Solution

Just bear in mind that if you're using "Fring", you'll still be charged the equivalent of a local call (or in the case of a cell phone, a "standard" call) - Fring is uinique in that it makes a local call and routes the VoIP call via that... Unlike "pure" VoIP and Skype applications, which place the call directly over the Internet.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

choochootrain29

45%
02 Rank
Progress
choochootrain29
Accepted Solution

Oh really??

Thanks for the heads up.

If you can, may you please also post up further links and information about the skype via fring?

Thanks heaps!~

In that case.. perhaps just get a good USB headset or wireless headset with my laptop.

Hmm.. I wonder how else I can get Skype rates without the FRING premiums..

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cyba_Cowboy

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Cyba_Cowboy
Accepted Solution
Actually, I am wrong about my previous comments - it was a different Skype alternative ("iSkoot") that I was thinking of, not Fring.

Anyway, according to their Web site (see the link below), Fring is entirely data-based, meaning that you will only be charged for the data you use, as per your cell phone service (which would be the same as using a native Skype application anyway)...

It is interesting to note that Fring also seems to support a number of IM (instant messaging) services too!

* Official Web site: http://www.fring.com
* Features: http://www.fring.com/fring_is/what_is_fring/
* Why Fring: http://www.fring.com/fring_is/why_fring/
* How Fring works (complete with pretty pictures!): http://www.fring.com/fring_is/how_fring_works/
* Official announcement for iPhone availability: http://www.fring.com/blog/?p=364
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

choochootrain29

45%
02 Rank
Progress
choochootrain29
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the clarification.

Yeh, Fring supports several other IM services.

as with Fring on the iPod Touch, the only available 'data' connection is wifi. If installed on the iPhone on the other-hand it can choose to use the mobile data or the wifi connection.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
22%
02 Rank
Progress
tobiloba123_swag
Accepted Solution

i have a psp 3000 and i did the latest software update but i dont have skype. what do i do.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel