jonmoss89

45%
02 Rank
Progress

PlayStation Vr Grainy Images

127 Replies 27,229 Views Created 14-10-2016
14 Oct 2016
By jonmoss89
I love the PS VR, but does anyone else notice this; if the image the vr headset is displaying is black or dark you can often see like a fixed grainy image overlaying the picture? Just wondering if this was just me or everyone else!
LABELS: PlayStation VR
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wbjohnson

64%
02 Rank
Progress
wbjohnson
Accepted Solution

I can also confirm the load screen for VR worlds and indeed cinema mode has no issues so this does make me wonder if it's the gamma / contrast levels on specific games. The good news is that it appear the effect (I don't want to call it an issue!) is purely software which means it should be corrected! As long as the hardware is perfectly fine I can wait for the patch :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cazeres

73%
02 Rank
Progress
Cazeres
Accepted Solution

Also getting the same on vr worlds and rush of blood, it is there when viewing the ps home screen, but seems to go away when the loading screen with the white dots is shown (not much video content on that screen?). Tried different hdmi cables and moving the vr processing box and nothing made a difference. It looks like noise in the video signal similar to high ISO image from a digital camera. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ChiSox_J-B

46%
02 Rank
Progress
ChiSox_J-B
Accepted Solution

It's a fixed pattern of specks , not random static or image noise.... Almost like a reflection or like the projection is on a rough unpolished surface.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DDJIM

69%
02 Rank
Progress
DDJIM
Accepted Solution

its called Mura effect.they keep the pixels lit when displaying blacks for low latency of the screen. vive and rift do the same some apps have it more than others but its there 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cazeres

73%
02 Rank
Progress
Cazeres
DDJIM
Accepted Solution

I don't see any banding or pattern like Moire effect. For an OLED screen I expect blacks to be black, not filled with green dots. It is not just on black though, it is there on top of everything. Like was said above, it looks like a plastic film was left on and forgotten to be removed. 

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
wbjohnson
Accepted Solution

This artefact is on all headsets.  It is the Screen Door Affect (like a fine mesh) on the screen.  It is not a malfunction but just a limitation of the kit.  Hope that clarifies things as it like the lower resolution issues and poor tracking using the motion controllers is also a limitation of the system.  Lots has been written over the last several months so is not a fresh issue, but may appear as such for those unaware.  Hope that helps

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cazeres

73%
02 Rank
Progress
Cazeres
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution

How does screen door effect make green dots on a black screen?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
Cazeres
Accepted Solution

The quick answer @Cazeres is , it doesn't.    The screen-door effect (SDE) or fixed-pattern noise (FPN) is a  visual artifact of displays, where the fine lines separating pixels (or subpixels) become visible in the displayed image. More recently, the screen door effect has been an issue with virtual reality headsets and other head-mounted displays, because these stretch a single display across a much wider field of view (Edited from wikipedia)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DDJIM

69%
02 Rank
Progress
DDJIM
Accepted Solution

In a very dark scene your eyes adjust to become very sensitive. This is how you can see at night by your eyes becoming much more sensitive to subtle changes in brightness in the grayscale. The screen is trying to display the same shade of grey but each pixel is physically different in the amount of voltage it takes to hit an exact colour. So some will seem darker and some brighter the greater sensitivity of your eyes will see some of the brightest grays as white.

This is called Mura. They do correct for it in the factory but obviously it isn't perfect yet. Displaying gray when the persons eyes are enclosed to become their most sensitive is pretty much the worst case scenario.

In a dark enough scene you will find this on the rift and the vive. Unfortunately some headsets will get perceivable Mura in other brighter scenes due to panel variability. Hopefully they will get better Mura correction for the next generation.

rift snowy red tint.pngways to tell if it's Mura. Mura will always be a fixed pattern even when you turn your head. It will be distributed across most of the screen)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
el-ve
DDJIM
Accepted Solution

"Mura will always be a fixed pattern even when you turn your head. It will be distributed across most of the screen)"

Sounds just like this to me.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cazeres

73%
02 Rank
Progress
Cazeres
DDJIM
Accepted Solution

Thanks DDJIM, I think your explanation fits the issue quite well. What bothers me most is that it seems quite obvious on all scenes, even the blue background on the home screen has quite noticeable variations on the brightness of the blue pixels, in the shark tank in VR worlds I couldn't help but stare at the artefacts the whole time. It is really affecting my ability to enjoy the product, I didn't expect anything like this.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
Cazeres
Accepted Solution

That's interesting. So when Screen Door Effect  is defined by Wikipedia as "This results in an image that appears as if viewed through a fine screen or mesh such as those used on anti-insect Screen Door." And the original Poster asks "see like a fixed grainy image overlaying the picture?" That definition doesn't fit the issue quite well too?  OK, I get it

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
el-ve
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution

Wikipedia :/

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cazeres

73%
02 Rank
Progress
Cazeres
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution

No it does not fit the issue at all, the issue is not seeing pixel gaps, it is seeing what looks like an overlay, the mura explanation fits the issue. Check out this thread to see the growing number of people complaining of the issue. It is possibly looking like an issue introduced with the 2.0 firmware update. http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS-VR-Support/PSVR-Blurred-Vision/td-p/24601299/page/21#threa...

Read the whole thread and not just the title and first few posts to follow the discussion.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
Cazeres
Accepted Solution

But it is the issue.  The original poster is referring to an overlay not Mura which is clouding not mesh (uniformed fixed pattern noise like) as Mura generally only affects part of a screen generally.  Screen-door affect is the space between pixels that gives a  uniformed mesh like overlay, like a screen-door as a consequence of those gaps between pixels.  Without those gaps, there is no mesh like effect.  Hence that is what the original poster is complaining of.  What Mura is not is the screeddoor Affect. The Screen-Door Effect that gives a mesh like overlay is the symptom.  The fact that you and others have hijacked the thread and state it is to do with blurriness or firmware update are ignoring the known fact that Screen Door Affect was present before the update as it is on all VR screens .  Equally, can  anyone provide a link that give the definition of Mura as a fine mesh like overlay on an OLED or other  Screen because no search on Google appears to support yours and others definition that it does no matter how strongly you argue that it fits the original poster's observation

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DDJIM

69%
02 Rank
Progress
DDJIM
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution

psvita has green dots in blacks on the  oled. you have to be playing in the dark to see it

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
DDJIM
Accepted Solution

That may well be the case @DDJIMBut that is a different symptom to Screen-door Affect

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DDJIM

69%
02 Rank
Progress
DDJIM
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution

i know. its called Mura effect!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
DDJIM
Accepted Solution

I hadn't fully appreciated green dots on black  screen was called the Mura Effect.  Thanks for your take on that.   Do you have a link to substantiate that claim for further reading please?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DDJIM

69%
02 Rank
Progress
DDJIM
Hip_Hop_Rob
Accepted Solution
  1. 542a8f35_oled-curved-tv-lg-55ea980-fig14-lg.jpeglg oled tv Mura Effecteaf10a0e_LG-55EA9800-Jailbars-580.jpeghave a look on oculus or vive subreddit. oculus rift has them but there red with the odd green and grey dots. put psvr  on the other day and its the same thing as on the rift just a different Prominent colour .oculus made a tool to get rid of  the Mura Effect red tint vail effect it has many names.called spudtool you can only get it from oculus support but it caused black smear that looks horrible. blacks were blocky like super Nintendo. Mura Effect isn't as bad as black smear to me so i turnd spud back on. oculus have updated the hmd firmware and its alot better now but still there. im sure sony will do the same.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hip_Hop_Rob

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Hip_Hop_Rob
DDJIM
Accepted Solution

Thanks so that clears that up then.  This  isn't what the original poster was complaining of.  

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel