stupidbunnysuit

98%
05 Rank
Progress

Starhawk IGN Black Beta Event review

1 Reply 882 Views Created 10-05-2012
10 May 2012
By stupidbunnysuit

Myself, and three other guys from Sony HQ attended the party last night.

Have to say, as always, that the IGN bunch are very accommodating.

We rocked up to the venue in Sydney, and flashed our phones to be allowed entry.

Downstairs, they had the original Warhawk set up on a few consoles, and across in the other room, around a dozen TVs with Starhawk, ready and waiting.

Whilst I didn't get much of a look in myself (too busy guzzling down some free drinks and street food tacos - both soft and hard shell) - I did get a look at the gameplay watching everyone else have fun. The other guys did get to play a round or two.

The graphics and gameplay were comparable to Warhawk, but a lot prettier, and obviously Starhawk is set in space (on a distant planet with many moons).

The multiplayer was set up already, so I can't be too sure what all the different arenas would look like, or what the single player campaign might be.

IGN promised that it will be the best MP this year.

Given that I've never played Warhawk before, and as yet, not Starhawk either, I am planning to pick up a copy fairly soon and give it a whirl.

-sbs

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KeyNoir

84%
03 Rank
Progress
KeyNoir
Accepted Solution

I managed to score a +1 invite to this event. I was pleasantly surprised by how large it was - easily a couple of hundred people - and that IGN were generous enough to provide an open bar.

The bar served beer, house red or white wine, soft drinks, water and my personal favourite, "Rift Energy". (Rift energy is a precious resource in the game) At any given moment you could look around and see several people with an icy blue drink in hand.

The catering (a taco stand) was plentiful, varied and delicious. It was a nice touch to see that they had options for spicy (a range of hot sauces), mild (no sauce), vegetarian (warm chlli corn) and gluten free. I admit that I went back for an extra hard shell beef taco towards the end of the evening. :smileyhappy:

The event opened with a video from one of the developers, who seemed really excited that launch events like this took place at all, let alone in places as far flung as Australia. Perhaps he might be persuaded to come in person to help promote his next project (whatever and whenever that may be).

Top prizes included limited edition red PS3 consoles (which were handed to the multplayer winners), while everyone in the top 8 received a t-shirt. I didn't earn a prize, but everyone could collect a poster on the way out.

The dj was extremely enthusiastic, but I would have preferred the volume to be a bit lower so I could hear what other people were saying about the game.

I particularly enjoyed putting names to faces for more of the staff from HQ. It was nice meeting you guys. 

I'd never played Warhawk before, but I really liked the combination of strategy and fighting. It reminded me a little of an old game I had on pc called Scarab (but with much better graphics). The little I played of Starhawk was just like the multiplayer beta. My initial impression stands; Jetpacks are awesome.  :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you to IGN and Sony!

1 Kudo

Re: Starhawk IGN Black Beta Event review

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel