KeyNoir

84%
03 Rank
Progress

inFAMOUS 2 Aussie Launch Event

6 Replies 1,063 Views Created 16-05-2011
16 May 2011
By KeyNoir

For a little while it almost seemed that Sony had organised a party in their own offices and then forgotten to invite us all to attend. :smileysurprised: So, thank you for inviting us all in the end, and specifically for offering me tickets. :)

Arriving at the office there was a spread of pizza and a variety of cold drinks. An understated countdown timer on the wall gave time for everyone to arrive before we were guided towards the conference room. I must say that I enjoyed sitting at the backlit table sipping my can of drink while watching the presentation. Communications Director Ken Schramm set the scene with a few videos (you may have already seen these at suckerpunch.com). Next up was lead game designer Joe Ithikura who was quick to point out that inFAMOUS 1 actually shipped with more than 99 missions. (He should know since he wrote a lot of them). 

The major message from the talk was that Sucker Punch were determined to make inFAMOUS 2, and not merely inFAMOUS 1.5. He was very proud that the team had been able to include elements from some of their favourite PS3 exclusive titles. These include 3D motion capture cut-scenes (as seen in Uncharted 2) and User Generated Content (UGC) missions (somewhat similar to Little Big Planet)

Back out in the foyer, eight consoles were set up with a tutorial/demo of inFAMOUS 2. The introductory tutorial began with a summarisation the events of inFAMOUS 1 in the expected comic book cutscene style. The tutorial then went through the range of powers that Cole still has from the first game. To get around the problem that all the buttons have been assigned, there is a new system to drop powers in and out of your control scheme. Powers can even be switched around mid fight. We will get to choose between different types of grenades, rockets, as well as the new ionic powers. 

Cole has been completely revamped for inFAMOUS 2. His face has been altered to match the new motion capture artist, his clothes fit the subtropical climate of New Marlais. Since Cole has travelled from Empire City (New York) down south to New Marlais (New Orleans), it no longer made sense for him to be wearing a heavy leather jacket.

The demo that followed included a few missions which consisted of finding these large safes containing either clues or an upgrade for Cole. The demo concluded with a boss battle with a "medium" sized monster trampling through the streets of New Marlais, stomping on pedestrians and destroying balconies as it passes. Joe insisted the monster was "medium" even though it towered several metres in the air.

inFAMOUS 2 t-shirtAt the end of the event everyone received a black inFAMOUS 2 t-shirt. (Don't worry DashBob, you didn't miss out on playstation pants from this event). It is a nice design, but it would have been completely awesome if the fabric had been thermochromatic given that Cole's t-shirt changes colour in the game depending on his alignment.

Overall this was a small, intimate event. While it lacked the pizzazz and grandeur of the God of War II event, most people got the opportunity to actually say a few words to the developers. I think that Joe was pleasantly surprised to hear my assertion that in a sense I've already played inFAMOUS 1.5 since I played through both the good and evil storylines. He replied that the new game could be considered inFAMOUS 2.8 because of the two karmic plotlines and the UGC missions.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AdrianArkayn

46%
02 Rank
Progress
AdrianArkayn
Accepted Solution

Hey Neno?

I have posted here so you can get my PSN ID as per our talk at the event.

Does anyone know Neno's Aussie PSN ID incase he doesn't see this?

0 Kudos

Re: inFAMOUS 2 Aussie Launch Event

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DashBob

98%
03 Rank
Progress
DashBob
Accepted Solution
Very nice KeyNoir. Sounds like a good time. It's pretty good when the devs are comfortable enough to accept questions and show off their work in confidence. I must say that the small groups work well and provide a better chance to get time with the game.

Glad to hear that I didn't miss out on pants though! Serious SCEANZ dudes, get on that...

0 Kudos

Im back online. Only this time in Brisbane!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

deserteaglezx

• Award Winner
92%
05 Rank
Progress
deserteaglezx
Accepted Solution

@KeyNoir wrote:

For a little while it almost seemed that Sony had organised a party in their own offices and then forgotten to invite us all to attend. :smileysurprised: So, thank you for inviting us all in the end, and specifically for offering me tickets. :)

Arriving at the office there was a spread of pizza and a variety of cold drinks. An understated countdown timer on the wall gave time for everyone to arrive before we were guided towards the conference room. I must say that I enjoyed sitting at the backlit table sipping my can of drink while watching the presentation. Communications Director Ken Schramm set the scene with a few videos (you may have already seen these at suckerpunch.com). Next up was lead game designer Joe Ithikura who was quick to point out that inFAMOUS 1 actually shipped with more than 99 missions. (He should know since he wrote a lot of them). 

The major message from the talk was that Sucker Punch were determined to make inFAMOUS 2, and not merely inFAMOUS 1.5. He was very proud that the team had been able to include elements from some of their favourite PS3 exclusive titles. These include 3D motion capture cut-scenes (as seen in Uncharted 2) and User Generated Content (UGC) missions (somewhat similar to Little Big Planet)

Back out in the foyer, eight consoles were set up with a tutorial/demo of inFAMOUS 2. The introductory tutorial began with a summarisation the events of inFAMOUS 1 in the expected comic book cutscene style. The tutorial then went through the range of powers that Cole still has from the first game. To get around the problem that all the buttons have been assigned, there is a new system to drop powers in and out of your control scheme. Powers can even be switched around mid fight. We will get to choose between different types of grenades, rockets, as well as the new ionic powers. 

Cole has been completely revamped for inFAMOUS 2. His face has been altered to match the new motion capture artist, his clothes fit the subtropical climate of New Marlais. Since Cole has travelled from Empire City (New York) down south to New Marlais (New Orleans), it no longer made sense for him to be wearing a heavy leather jacket.

The demo that followed included a few missions which consisted of finding these large safes containing either clues or an upgrade for Cole. The demo concluded with a boss battle with a "medium" sized monster trampling through the streets of New Marlais, stomping on pedestrians and destroying balconies as it passes. Joe insisted the monster was "medium" even though it towered several metres in the air.

inFAMOUS 2 t-shirtAt the end of the event everyone received a black inFAMOUS 2 t-shirt. (Don't worry DashBob, you didn't miss out on playstation pants from this event). It is a nice design, but it would have been completely awesome if the fabric had been thermochromatic given that Cole's t-shirt changes colour in the game depending on his alignment.

Overall this was a small, intimate event. While it lacked the pizzazz and grandeur of the God of War II event, most people got the opportunity to actually say a few words to the developers. I think that Joe was pleasantly surprised to hear my assertion that in a sense I've already played inFAMOUS 1.5 since I played through both the good and evil storylines. He replied that the new game could be considered inFAMOUS 2.8 because of the two karmic plotlines and the UGC missions.

I still don't know how you are able to remember so much detail when you type, I never saw you with a pencil and pen jotting down notes at the GOW event haha. Pro.

Sad to miss out seeing as though i went last time and got a free game :D Anyone free games given out?

Is it me or PS events are slowly... dieing in quality :(

P.s where the eff was my socom event, i waited 5 years for one! and nothing!!!!

0 Kudos

^ The above post is my signature ^

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DashBob

98%
03 Rank
Progress
DashBob
Accepted Solution
Now would be a very good time to do a SOCOM event given most of the pulation forgot that it was even released... And it would shut deaglezx up!
But work on PS branded pants first.
0 Kudos

Im back online. Only this time in Brisbane!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KeyNoir

84%
03 Rank
Progress
KeyNoir
Accepted Solution

@deserteaglezx wrote:

I still don't know how you are able to remember so much detail when you type, I never saw you with a pencil and pen jotting down notes at the GOW event haha. Pro.

Thanks. :D

I know what it is like to live vicariously through the forums, so I tried to write a recollection that I would like to read.

I didn't head to this event expecting to get a free copy of the game (although it is absolutely awesome when Sony are generous enough to hand out special edition press copies to all guests). So I was pleased to hear that there was a copy of the game up for grabs. This time around a lucky attendee will win a copy of  inFAMOUS 2 Hero Edition "on launch day".

This was a quality event which ran very smoothly, it was just on a smallish scale. I appreciated having the chance to chat with the developers rather than watch wistfully as they were whisked off for video interviews. Personally I would have enjoyed a longer presentation with more behind-the-scenes details, but I know that some of the other guests just wanted to get back to the lobby and play the demo.

Hoping for a socom event may be a bit of a long shot at this point. Uncharted 3 is a much better bet. :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Timesplitter_01

• Beta Tester
78%
04 Rank