Problem Solved

View Original Post
05 Nov 2008
By Gadbury

Gadbury

96%
02 Rank
Progress

Resistance 1 & 2 - Why was the original game unpopular with many?

[ Edited ]
57 Replies 4,287 Views edited 05-11-2008
05 Nov 2008
By Gadbury

Hi all,

I really enjoyed Resistance: Fall of Man.  It was nice to play a game with a decent story and many hours of singleplayer gameplay.  It certainly wasn't skimpy on content.  I also enjoyed the variety of the weapons and their novel uses.  The graphics were good if a little shabby in places (low res textures) but technically it was impressive.  Smooth framerates with a lot going on.  40 player online, lag free with some good MP modes. 

I know a lot of people didn't like the original game and I can't understand it.  Really seems to be a Marmite (love / hate) game.  Having read a few reviews on Resistance 2, it sounds like it has improved significantly in many areas.  I have a feeling that a lot of people will skip it based on the fact that they didn't like Resistance 1.  A lot of people didn't think a lot of Killzone 1 but I bet they're willing to give Killzone 2 a chance!

I hope that Insomniac bring out a demo of Resistance 2 to convert those not keen on the original. I haven't played the beta but I'm pretty certain based on the fact I liked the first one and that it's getting good reviews that I'll like it.

I'd also be interested to hear reasons why those didn't like the first one, if you care to share them :)  Are there any that have been converted by the beta?

Cheers!

EDIT: Some videos

IGN video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRsThID0Ro

Gametrailers video: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42358.html

Message Edited by Gadbury on 05-11-2008 09:29 PM
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Plugpin

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Plugpin
Accepted Solution
Its as i said before, they're both great on their own merits and are two completly different types of shooters.
0 Kudos

Re: Resistance 1 & 2 - Why was the original game unpopular with many?

SPLITTERS!!JOIN THE REVOLUCION

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Tanster

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Tanster
Accepted Solution

mmmmmm Marmite........  Loved RFOM - Still ranks amongst my fave FPS for the PS3 and I am still not a full convert to the FPS genre!!!!!  Currently playing Bioshock and just cannot get into it, although COD4 did have a great story.

I prefer 3rd person shooters like MGS4 and also playing Dead Space which is a great game.

Will defo pick up R2 though on the back of RFOM

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

HUYI

• Beta Tester
86%
05 Rank
Progress
HUYI
Accepted Solution

@Gadbury wrote:

because it was crap and still is
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gadbury

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Gadbury
Accepted Solution

@HUYI wrote:

@Gadbury wrote:

because it was crap and still is

*sigh*

Q: Why don't you like object X?

A: Because it's rubbish.

Any chance of getting a reason for your answer?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Dr_Kung

91%
05 Rank
Progress
Dr_Kung
Accepted Solution

The only thing I had against Resistance 1 was that they gave you an unfair disadvantage near the begining. There was this one section (just before you get infected) where you had to fight Chimara with very little cover and at this point you only had 2 guns (one of which was just plain awful for taking them on with, how the hell I got that far with it that I'll never know) it was just impossible and its the only section in the game where I had to try more than 3 times to do it (23 odd times it took)

Overall it was a good game even if it did feel abit short, for a launch title though its pretty amazing. Its the PS3's Halo in a sense (a launch game that doesn't suck and many will still be playing upto the next game)

Message Edited by Dr_Kung on 06-11-2008 02:43 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gadbury

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Gadbury
Accepted Solution
Dr_Kung, I'm surprised you found it too short.  It felt like one of the longer FPS games I have played - definitely not short for a FPS or game rushed for launch imo.  Probably nearly as long as Doom 3!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
84%
03 Rank
Progress
nuclear_predator
Accepted Solution

The controls and graphics ruined RFOM for me, I bought it after COD4 though so it felt like a step down I guess! :P

That said, I think the Resistance 2 beta is brilliant.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Poggins

74%
03 Rank
Progress
Poggins
Accepted Solution
my mate just got a PS3 and i quickly recommended R:FOM...

he said he hated the demo, the turning speed, the graphics and everything...

i said that is the worst part of the game, but still, i still think he is a 360 pwnz type of guy...

personally R:FOM is in my top 5 games, 4 player Split-Screen online has taken up most of my time even now, i just hope R2 includes this feature...
0 Kudos

.................................................................................................................................................
stupid cause and its lack of free gifts

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Shadow_Gamer

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Shadow_Gamer
Accepted Solution
R2 has 2 player split screen in the beta
0 Kudos

SneezeDON'T TOUCH ME!! Sneeze
Bring back godsgift18888!!!! He's Back :P

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Poggins

74%
03 Rank
Progress
Poggins
Accepted Solution

@Shadow_Gamer wrote:
R2 has 2 player split screen in the beta

yeah i knowzles (brilliant isn;t it?)

but i mean 4 player LAN... doews anyone know if this is included in R2?
0 Kudos

.................................................................................................................................................
stupid cause and its lack of free gifts

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BE-SOC

98%
04 Rank
Progress
BE-SOC
Accepted Solution
hmmm.... well to be honest, i had F1 & COD3 (i know...) bundled with my launch PS3, and snapped up Warhawk then COD4, both of which have dominated my online play. So perhaps unfairly i overlooked RFOM. But i have been impressed with what i have seen with R2, so downloaded R1 demo..... not bad. I appreciate the demos are not usually accurate representations of the final game, so i'm looking at picking up a copy on the cheap before christmas. Looking through these forums, it seems that R1 has decent online games, which is something that appeals to me, as i get fed up with the idiots on COD4. Would you recommend it for online play? Cheers :)
0 Kudos

Fancy a clan match on MW2? PM me, but be warned... we are pretty crap... :)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
95%
06 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution
Had resistance 1 since launch.
The single player was not just one guy going it alone. you were in a company of soldiers. were you have to let them do some of the work then cover them when they run out of ammo. If you play far enough in you have a Sniper/Squad leader turn up who assisted hale though later levels. Its replay ofline was massive with the co op and multi player ofline and If you replayed the single player you got skins for online mode. Even more weapons were added on the second play though. Even more than the online mode has. But most people were not able to put the time in to see resistance 1 on super human.

Resistance 1 online when launched did not fully run on PSN servers but had all the features that cross platform games really do lack even now..
Resistance 2 still has them.. cross platform games NEVER have them all, most did not even have coms supported yet alone 12 chat channels per room per side. Was the biggest lobbys with 40 Player maps, You could not camp on 40 player maps as you will DIE in 3 seconds. Snipers needed support for other players or they were dead. Realy slow reloads for snipers in R1 but not in R2. Squad respawn in R1 was a real eye opener (now copied by another game on PS3) as long a 1 player stayed alive you no longer spawned at there base.

One thing thats has changed now from R1, Is that public LEVEL editors have been released for UT3 and Farcry2( I think) games, charging for maps IS a hard sell now. PC users could build there own and cook them of PS3. Plus other shootem ups have had FREE MAPS released......
0 Kudos

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

From SIEE blog "There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system." for firmware 4.50

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required. Java script failure in remote play at login is IE render engine setting in IE security set to off... turn it on...

Finaly got my Beta badge back took long enough...

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Afrodisiact

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Afrodisiact
Accepted Solution

What a game. Resistance was also my first ever online experiance and i wa hooked from the start !

Although i do enjoy cod, i must say i dnt rate it compared to RFOM.

i only hope R2 can stand up proud nxt to cod e.c.t

0 Kudos

Blup Blup

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gadbury

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Gadbury
Accepted Solution

@Afrodisiact wrote:

What a game. Resistance was also my first ever online experiance and i wa hooked from the start !

Although i do enjoy cod, i must say i dnt rate it compared to RFOM.

i only hope R2 can stand up proud nxt to cod e.c.t

You never forget your first experience with a loved one! :P

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Ninja-Welshman

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Ninja-Welshman
Accepted Solution
I've never owed R1 and only played it very briefly on my bro's PS3 on launch day. Can't say I gave it a real chance. Not a massive fan of alien shooters (I know they were people infected). I didn't like the way certain guns have visible bullets or the old setting. I realize that this was/is a good game, just not for me. I prefer more tactical shooters. My current fav being Bad Company but I know a lot of people don't like this game. Each to there own I guess. Saying all that though I don't whether to give R2 a try as it does look epic and they've done great things with the multi-player side of it. Or just wait for Killzone 2?
Message Edited by Ninja-Welshman on 27-11-2008 12:09 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dankear

80%
02 Rank
Progress
dankear
Accepted Solution
fair point solid snake and don't get me wrong its a good game,just i usually played deathmatch on it and you could see people respawn alot on it (easy targets) and vice versa,I hope they make some changes to that.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel