sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress

Demon's Souls RPG - Anyone Got It?

388 Replies 6,527 Views Created 29-03-2009
29 Mar 2009
By sektanz

Has anyone imported this? If so what are your impressions? I'm tempted, but have a concern over the English translation (ie is the voice acting any good)?

Some of the reviews it's been getting are impressive.

1 Kudo
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Scunter

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Scunter
Accepted Solution
Is there an English version out yet? Only release date I've seen is : Feb 05, 2009 (JP)
0 Kudos

Re: Demon's Souls RPG - Anyone Got It?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
sektanz
Accepted Solution

I think it's a JP import with an English option according to this:

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/PlayStation-3/Demons-Souls/2765366/

It's bloody expensive though!

Message Edited by sektanz on 30-03-2009 11:24 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BenBen78

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BenBen78
Accepted Solution

If you're gonna get it, get the Asia version from Play-Asia (sold out atm) it has full English text and speech.

The game seems decent but a bit clunky and lacking the polish of the better PS3 titles. There are a few gameplay clips on gametrailers and user reviews around the place. Reminds me of Viking in that it is crap in places but still fun overall. Like Viking though, I would only pay half price for it ;) 

1 Kudo

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
sektanz
Accepted Solution
Cheers BenBen. I might wait a while until it comes down in price......I've just finished my trophy run through of Fallout 3, so am looking for another 60hr plus RPG to waste away those winter evenings with! :) Maybe Sacred Angel 2, but I hear the quality of that is looking a bit iffy.
Message Edited by sektanz on 30-03-2009 12:44 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BenBen78

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BenBen78
Accepted Solution

If you've never played Oblivion, that will keep you busy for ages mate. Way better than Fallout :P

What other rpg's on PS3 can you suggest for myself? :) 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Scunter

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Scunter
Accepted Solution
Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
sektanz
Accepted Solution

@BenBen78 wrote:

If you've never played Oblivion, that will keep you busy for ages mate. Way better than Fallout :P

What other rpg's on PS3 can you suggest for myself? :) 

Oh yeah, I've played Oblivion....totally agree that it's better than Fallout 3 :). Might get the GOTY edition cheap somewhere so I can get the Shivering Isles expansion.

Those two games that Scunter mention are a couple on my "to do" list also.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Scunter

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Scunter
Accepted Solution

Cross Edge (May '09) -NIS/Gust/Capcom/Namco Bandai/Idea Factory game cross over madness -

and

Alpha Protocol (Q3 '09 US)- Espionage RPG (reminds me of Deus Ex crossed with Fallout 3 crossed with MGS)-

and 

Borderlands (Q3 '09 US) - Sci-fi craziness with "a hell of a lot of guns" :) 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

procion

90%
04 Rank
Progress
procion
Accepted Solution
Believe it or not, for all of Sacred 2 Fallen Angels faults, it has a lot more going for it than not. Yes the frame rate glitches along sometimes, voice chat has only ever worked once for me, the bird's eye view only allowing small glimpses of your pc's front view can get stomach roilingly claustrophobic and a sloppy online lag rate can be made even worse by the fact that I live on Gaia's hoary left buttock, but the sheer scope of the world's breadth & it's differing environments, the 100s of hours of original map exploration, pc customisation & online frolics & play make up for the shortfall. I recommend this title to anybody who loved Oblivion & it's ilk. 7 out of 10 :) addendum: patch coming soon for some of those issues + dlc for more frolicories.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Spathis

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Spathis
Accepted Solution
Ok If anyone is intrested in grabbing this HMV Hong Kong just more copies of Demons Souls. I just ordered my copy for $76.43 AUD (with delivery). The Current exchange is very good at the moment for the Hong Kong Dollar. Grab it ASAP.

Now i have to wait up to 15 days tops to get it. :(
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BenBen78

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BenBen78
Accepted Solution
Good price. I've had it on order with Play-Asia for a while, might keep waiting. But I guess their order list could be into the hundreds?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xPATCHx

90%
03 Rank
Progress
xPATCHx
Accepted Solution

Just got my copy delivered yesterday, and have spent most of today giving it a go.

It is a very different rpg experience, with much more in common with Monster hunter than say Final fantasy or even diablo. It seems like you will spend a lot of time farming for souls (used as both exp and money), and then spending these souls on better weapons so you can then farm higher level areas... and so on, with (impressive) boss fights thrown in evry so often to mix things up.

The game is very frustrating at times, but has a certain charm. All online players can leave notes on the ground (through a clunky word system which I assume is built to combat language barriers. I am still at a loss to what "This is Harsh. Evaluate me." means, but you will read it A LOT)and these help you avoid some of the many traps, and find some of the many hidden secrets.

Most of the time you will be in what is called soul form, which means your HitPoints are reduced to 50% (or 75% if you find the "cling ring" hidden in level 1) dying in this form (which will happen a lot) causes all your farmed souls to be lost and left lying in your pool of blood on the ground. If you fail to get back to your corpse with the next life all those souls (possibly hours of work) will be lost permenantly.

This means that most of the time you are trying very hard not to die, and with no save game options this produces a very intense gaming experience, making you really happy when you get back to the nexus and get to spend all those hard earned souls.

Overall I have enjoyed the game so far, but it is by no means a relaxing RPG to jump in and out of. 

Online co-op mode is a little strange, ive only got it working twice, probably just need to know the game a bit better to get more out of it. Also it seems you need to beat the first few bosses before you open the PvP mode (black crystals or something).

There are about 10 different classes to try, however you can only every have one active for each PSN login (since autosave is the only save game option) so maybe the best bet is to play trough the first level a number of times restarting and see which class best suits your play style.... I tried a templar knight first and then switched to a mage, both worked well, but I think I might end up switching again (a little annoying.... as I usually end up with lots of different save games as I try different builds in most other RPGs) .

Good luck all and if you do get it MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CLING RING ON THE FIRST LEVEL if you cant find it do a google search or ask and Ill try n help. Feel free to add me as a friend too if you wanna try n get the co-op going, although this may end up being more difficult that it seems (im not sure if the blue gems show up in all online games, or just a subset, like the notes).

Oh yeah and this will help as well as the manual is all in chinese.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com

Message Edited by xPATCHx on 02-05-2009 01:28 PM
3 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
sektanz
Accepted Solution

Nice write up Patch. I still haven't got a copy yet. Looks like a frustrating one from your review!

Just wondering whether the battles are random encounters (eg Final Fantasy...pre XII), or can you see opponents on the map beforehand?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xPATCHx

90%
03 Rank
Progress
xPATCHx
Accepted Solution

Minor update - you can have multiple characters, up to 4 simultaneous save games are kept, and you can load each one independantly.

In terms of monsters spawning there is no map as such, it is very much an action RPG, similar to diablo or baldurs gate, however played from the third person perspective, ala drakes fortune etc. 

Enemy's are usually waiting in hiding around every corner as you progress through the levels (static spawns so they are always in the same spot, although item drops are random).

Controls are quite straight forward left stick to move, right stick to roate camera.

Attacking is done using the R1 button to swing right hand weapon, L1 block(if shield in left hand) or swing left hand weapon, with the R2 and L2 being heavy attack variants. Pressing triangle will cause your character to wield whatever weapon is in the right hand with both hands - giving a 150% damage bonus. With a bow equiped pressing L1 will switch to "sniper mode" (first person) and in this mode up and down digital will zoom, allowing targeted arrow shots at distant enemies.

You can have one quick swap weapon (such as a wand or bow, or axe, pick etc) in each hand, and quick swap them with left or right digital buttons.

Up digital changes your equiped magic(or miracle - which are basically healing magics), and casting must be done using R1/L1 with a wand(for magic) or a totem(for miracles) equiped in the relevant hand. With an enemy locked on (R3 locks to nearest enemy) it is easy to take down lots in quick succession with fireballs/soul arrows, as it will quick lock to the next nearest after first is dead.

Down digital changes between your 5 equiped items (healing mana regen stuff, weapon buffs, or thrown items) and square will activiate selected item. 

Umm yup hope that makes sense.... still learning stuff but its pretty fun so far.... 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Lythinari

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Lythinari
Accepted Solution

Mmm, bad universal language system adoption for the win.

Reminds me of FF:Online, where people got/get so board

of playing a game of grinding that they'd just sit in town and

think up imaginative word play on the auto translation system.

0 Kudos

O|¯|_ orz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hobojoe

58%
02 Rank
Progress
Hobojoe
Accepted Solution

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the next couple of days. But from the reviews that I have read it sounds to me like a really good game.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hobojoe

58%
02 Rank
Progress
Hobojoe
Accepted Solution

Demon's Souls is a good game a bit on the hard side. The only problem that I have came across so far is the auto save system. When ever you die it saves straight away and then you have to start from the beginning of that level and any thing that you have defeated has come back from the dead. There is also no way to manually save the game.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

KiDDa666

• Beta Tester
60%
02 Rank
Progress
KiDDa666
Accepted Solution

Just got it on off ebay $90 free post.

English version from VIC.

Should have it end next week.

Message Edited by KiDDa666 on 08-05-2009 10:35 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

agunzi

• Beta Tester
95%
04 Rank
Progress
agunzi
Accepted Solution

My mate has bought this,so did some investigating on it,doesnt sound to bad,and thanks for the info to xPATCHx.

Thinking seriously about getting it,if i do,if anyone wants to co-op with me and my mate,pm me and when/if i get it,ill add ya :)

0 Kudos

The Predator is THE most awesomest movie Alien ever! Period!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sendmail

60%
02 Rank
Progress
sendmail
Accepted Solution

@KiDDa666 wrote:

Just got it on off ebay $90 free post.

English version from VIC.

Should have it end next week.

Message Edited by KiDDa666 on 08-05-2009 10:35 PM

HAHA, I had that on my watch list and was waiting to see if I could get it less than the buy it now, then BAM! gone, most likely you :(

Enjoy!

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel