• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress

Syndicate

110 Replies 769 Views Created 12-09-2011
12 Sep 2011
By Yaster

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-12-ea-and-starbreeze-announce-syndicate-fps

One of the worst kept secrets in recent years, Riddick Studio Starbreeze are working on an FPS reboot of classic EA series Syndicate.  Pencilled in for the alarmingly close "early 2012".

This is from the above Eurogamer article:

"

Syndicate, the "reinvention", is set in 2069, where governments have given way to mega corporations - syndicates - that sell neural implants enabling direct connection to world's Dataverse hub.

Customers flocked to buy the implants and associated benefits from the syndicates. In return, the syndicates gained unprecedented access to their customers' minds.

Three such syndicates vie, agressively, for the American market. You, Miles Kilo - a bio-engineered and chip-augmented enforcer - belong to one of them, Eurocorp.

Combat revolves around upgradeable weaponry, armour and gear, as well as the bio-chip DART 6 head implant. This allows you to look through walls, slow time and "breach your enemy and everything digital in the world with Dart vision", according to information dug up on NeoGAF.

When enemies are killed, you can "harvest" their chip technology for personal advancement and "sinister corporate greed".

Author Richard Morgan has written the story.

There will be a separate four-player co-op mode that features missions from the original Syndicate game of 1993.

"We are excited to finally reveal what we've been working on the past couple years," commented says Mikael Nermark, Starbreeze CEO. "It's been a great experience working with EA, and an amazing opportunity for us to use our expertise in the first-person shooter and action genres to bring back, and reignite, the signature action/espionage gameplay of Syndicate."

"Our goal with Syndicate is to provide a challenging action shooter for today's gamers as well as fans of the original," added Jeff Gamon, EA Partners Executive Producer.

"I'm sure they will enjoy and recognise the legacy that made it such a classic."

0 Kudos
LABELS:
yaster's Streambadge
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Yaster

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Yaster
Accepted Solution

And here are some screens

0 Kudos

Re: Syndicate

yaster's Streambadge

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Zen_Shot

61%
02 Rank
Progress
Zen_Shot
Accepted Solution

Turning a much loved and respected isometric strategy game into a modern first person shooter franchise is probably the most stupid idea since Atari made E.T. It's tantamount to Dice making a Battlefield platformer.

I can't really speak for anyone else but as a Syndicate fan this seems just plain stupid. The FPS genre is already as bloated as a 1977 Elvis Presley and yet another addition is simply not needed. I predict this will bomb almost instantly and deservedly so.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

^ Exactly what I was going to write, except I wouldn't have come up with something as funny as "bloated Elvis". This is a shameless cash-in on a brand, and will go as well as any cheap move tie-in game.

Does the market really need another FPS? No. Does it need high-definition Syndicate with online support? Hell yes.

This has "fail" written all over it.

EDIT: I don't want to detract from your excellent post, but Dice's "Battlefield platformer" was actually really good [Mirror's Edge]. Probably not what you meant though ;)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Yaster

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Yaster
Accepted Solution
You say that, but the latest PSM3 just came in with Syndicate on the cover:

"Fans of the 1993 original may be hesitant about Starbreeze taking a squad based, top-down strategy and converting it to a shooter (albeit one with four-player co-op), but it's soul is very much intact."
0 Kudos

yaster's Streambadge

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

It could be great, and if Deus Ex hadn't just hit, I'd probably be more interested (they exist in very similar, i.e. Bladerunner-esque, worlds). As long as they get the feel right, the universe is a great set-up to base a squad based FPS in.

But we have an awful lot of FPS games available to us, while I can count on both hands the number of RTS type games. I can see why it was done from a publisher/business point of view, but as a gamer that loves RTS, FPS and the original Syndicate and Syndicate Wars - it sucks and reminds me of Starcraft: Ghost.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

fizzyfunk

• Beta Tester
88%
03 Rank
Progress
fizzyfunk
Accepted Solution

I was so thrilled to hear of a new Syndicate game that I missed the FPS part at the end. If a FPS reboot means the exclusion of open cities, the Persuadatron allowing you to form a huge human meat shield/ kidnapping scientists, researching and developing new equipment, blowing up banks to raise money for research/ equipment, inability to control 4 agents unless you're playing online co-op....

.. then it won't be a Syndicate game as far as i'm concerned. Deus Ex works because it has always been a stealthy FPS. Syndicate has a cult following because it was unique.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

@fizzyfunk wrote:
Syndicate has a cult following because it was unique.

Unfortunately "unique" gets stamped down into homogenised tripe these days :(

Who wants to bet it has perks?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nilet

82%
05 Rank
Progress
nilet
Accepted Solution
interesting project.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Actually, I'm kind of warming to the idea of this game... I'm still miffed that it won't be in the style of the original, because that would be so, so sweet. Especially with Move support...

But putting that bitterness aside and treating this game on it's own merits, it is looking good on paper. The developer is the same that made The Darkness (which I loved) and Chronicles of Riddick (which by all accounts is pretty good).

Plus the announcement trailer looks pretty sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwtznVkSxA

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

fizzyfunk

• Beta Tester
88%
03 Rank
Progress
fizzyfunk
Accepted Solution

@InfiniteStates wrote:

Actually, I'm kind of warming to the idea of this game... I'm still miffed that it won't be in the style of the original, because that would be so, so sweet. Especially with Move support...

But putting that bitterness aside and treating this game on it's own merits, it is looking good on paper. The developer is the same that made The Darkness (which I loved) and Chronicles of Riddick (which by all accounts is pretty good).

Plus the announcement trailer looks pretty sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwtznVkSxA

Despite never being a fan of dubstep, if they had just released that remix of the Syndicate theme alone, I would probably be far more optimistic! I want to like the idea of this spin on the series but I also want to hate it!

....still very sceptical but I shall give it a chance given the thought they put into the music for the announcement trailer!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution

A walkthrough gameplay trailer thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJbrvSP9RMA

The environment has a Deus Ex feel to it.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Jamesie_Payne91

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Jamesie_Payne91
Accepted Solution
I'm so excited for this game, my second purchase this year after I ordered my MGS HD Collection the other day. I think what has attracted me to this is the fact I have read how great the original was (couldn't play it, I was only 2) and this seems to have close ties to Deus Ex: HR with the futuristic style, which was my favourite game of 2011.

Also looking forward to the 4player Co-Op, hopefully it will be as enoyable as I found OPF: Red River.
0 Kudos

Jamesie_Payne91 Trophy Card

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
95%
11 Rank
Progress
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
What a load of crap. I couldn't turn it off fast enough, It made my eyes and head hurt. Don't know it it was a bad/jerky frame rate or the graphics and stupid amounts of on screen data.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

YER_MAW_JUST

87%
04 Rank
Progress
YER_MAW_JUST
Accepted Solution

So what do you think of the demo?

Sure most people would say that it is difficult but once you play a few games you get used to it. I personally like that you can die rather easily, it keeps people from going one man army all the time and you have to play as a squad to heal.

The best loadout (personally) you can use in the demo is

Main Kusanagi ACR-10
Side Bullhammer mark 2
App 1 squad heal
App 2 shielding

The liquid and reactive armour enemies require you to lower the shield first before they are vulnerable to damage. After they are down approach them and press r3 to stab a syringe into the head and extract the chip. Doing this will reward you at the end of the game with Blueprint tokens.

Using these tokens in the weapon research menu will allow you to add upgrades to your weapon. With a fully researched weapon you will notice considerable changes in the performance of it.

Chip upgrades can be done every time you level up. Currently i am level 9 and have the entire middle line plus a few at the side. Note that this middle line should be the first thing you pick when using these upgrades as it consists of health/regen/shields.

I have seen some people claiming that the last boss in the demo is difficult. Well he is unless you know what you are doing. I am going to give you an easy way of doing this.

1. When the doors open run out and round to your left until you are behind the crates. Look up to the left corner to see a sniper. Kill him, look over to the other corner and see another sniper, kill him also.

2. Enable dart overlay mode and kill the normal soldiers who come towards you. Once the enemies are disposed of you are now left with the boss (for a bit)

3.Use the left side consisting of crates and vehicles to flank him and breach his shield. On doing this retreat whilst shooting. When the white bar on his health drops to the next orange bit his shield will come back on.

4. Enemies up the other end should now come through the doors and proceed to come towards you. 
whilst one of you is playing hide and seek with the boss round the crates and vehicles the other 3 should mop up.

5. repeat 3. to defeat the boss and end the level.

Always remember to heal/squad heal in the last fight and NEVER stay in the room you start at. If the people running out die the boss comes straight for the room resulting in the fail of the mission. This map has plenty of cover PLUS you can see through things so you should never be overwhelmed.

If anyone would like to play with me then just add me

0 Kudos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel® Core™ i7-990x (3.46GHz, 12MB, 6.4GT/sec)
English Genuine Windows® 8 64 BIT
Dual 6GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX Titan
6144MB (3x2GB) 1866MHz DDR3 Tri Channel
512GB Solid State Drive Raid 0 "Stripe" Dual HDD - (2x256GB)
256GB Solid State SATA Additional Drive
Blu-Ray RW (Blu-ray, DVD, CD read & write) & 24X DVD+/-RW
Killer™ 2100 Network Card
Soundblaster XFi Titanium PCIe card

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

StuR328

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
StuR328
Accepted Solution
I prefer the smg and pistol myself, then I usually trade in the pist for the standard shotgun when in game
0 Kudos

|¬_¬|™

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

YER_MAW_JUST

87%
04 Rank
Progress
YER_MAW_JUST
Accepted Solution

@StuR328 wrote:
I prefer the smg and pistol myself, then I usually trade in the pist for the standard shotgun when in game

I say this because i have not came anything but first in the last 20 odd games

0 Kudos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

StuR328

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
StuR328
Accepted Solution

@YER_MAW_JUST wrote:

@StuR328 wrote:

I say this because i have not came anything but first in the last 20 odd games

lol, how spiffing for you :D

|¬_¬|™

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

YER_MAW_JUST

87%
04 Rank
Progress
YER_MAW_JUST
Accepted Solution

Saying that i still have no idea how to throw grenades lol. Can someone enlighten me please?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

I seem to sometimes select grenades when pressing triangle...it may be when I hold it?

I really like the demo, but it seems to be a bit of a marmite game. You either really like it or really hate it. To me it feels a bit like Killzone 2 with a lot of flashy stuff the initially confuses you to hell.

Definitely on my watch list. It's just a shame it bears very little resemblance to the original Syndicate. Although you can pick up the final bosses minigun which will be sweet if you can equip it from the start in the full game...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

StuR328

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
StuR328
Accepted Solution
yes, holding triangle selects the grenade and then R1 to throw.

Your grenades seem to go off as soon as they are near an enemy instead of time based detonation
Can only carry 2, but enemy grenades you breach can be picked up to replace used 1s.
0 Kudos

|¬_¬|™
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel