92%
03 Rank
Progress

Latest Missions from RetroSteveUK ...

[ Edited ]
81 Replies 1,789 Views edited 08-08-2011
08 Aug 2011
By RetroSteveUK

Following up on a discussion about where to post / promote our own missions, I've created this thread to post my missions to, as new ones appear.  I have a little catching up to do here, so I'll start by posting a few that have been out there for a while, then I'll add the rest of the backlog over the next few days.  After that it'll be new missions added as they're pubished.

Thanks to everyone who's played any of my missions, and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Three missions I created initially, and have since been featured ...

* Tank FInder General - LINK

"Find and destroy 10 hidden propane tanks."

* Puck Man - LINK

"A homage to the classic dot eating maze game."

* Invaders From Space - LINK

"A homage to the alien blasting retro game."

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Super MacGrath Bros - LINK

"A homage to the platforming Italian plumber."

This one's a tribute to Super Mario Bros.  Not an exact copy of a level from the game, but a UGC mission that captures the feel and spirit of the original.  Among other things there are coins to collect, blocks to break, (by headbutting them from below, revealing more coins,) and a version of the final flag pole to climb, with the fireworks display at the end.  There's also an optional time limit, if you fancy playing it as a time attack challenge.

Super MacGrath Bros

0 Kudos

Super MacGrath Bros

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Seth9977

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Seth9977
Accepted Solution

That looks fun I'll add It to my queue since I enjoyed your space Invaders Homage I'm sure I'll enjoy this. :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

Re: Super MacGrath Bros

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Whack-a-Mole! - LINK

"A faithful recreation of the pop-up mole arcade game."

Nine holes, multiple rounds of randomly generated 'moles', and a scoring system that makes you want to play again and beat your best score.  I started this thinking it would be really simple to make.  Weeks later, and with hundreds (yes, hundreds) of logic boxes in place it was finished.  Use the remix option to have a look at the sea of logic boxes that make this one work.

Whack-a-Mole!

0 Kudos

Whack-a-Mole!

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Suicide Bomber - LINK

"Identify & eliminate a terrorist suicide bomber."

The police need your help; they have intel on a terrorist target, but the bomber will freak out if a cop shows up.  Enter Cole ... you need to identify which of the people in the vicinity of the target building is the suicide bomber before the they blow the place up.  There's a karma choice - study the behaviour of the people and pick off the one acting suspiciously.  Alternatively,  hurting an innocent person will spook the bomber into action, revealing their identity.  Depending on your chioce, the story will branch into one of two directions.

Suicide Bomber

0 Kudos

Suicide Bomber

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

e-flat

80%
02 Rank
Progress
e-flat
Accepted Solution

Steve,

I really enjoy playing your missions. They are very well made.

Super MacGrath Bros was a lot of fun. This took me quite a while to master jumping on those little platforms, but it was so much fun I just had to keep at it. I never did get the last 2 though. Having the trolley wires was a real life saver on more than a few occasions. When I first played it, I was like "?", but then I was like "!". Well done.

Wack a Mole is really a nice example for how a mini game should be. I had a blast with this one. Not many missions make my favorites list, but this one is definitely a keeper. I'm sure I'll keep trying for the perfect score.

Keep up the great work.

0 Kudos

Re: Suicide Bomber

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Yeah, the Super MacGrath block jumping had me challenged too to start with, but after playing the mission extensively I learned how to better navigate using small jumps and nudges of the analogue stick.  I figured some might find it frustrating, but really I considered it a mission that improves the skills of the player if they persevere.  And those two last coins you couldn't find - probably the ones that are above your head when the mission starts  (look up).  Easily missed.  If it helps, the coins are marked on the minimap.  (Oh, and you did get all the coins inside the breakable blocks, right?)

I've just finished a Donkey Kong tribute, btw.  I'll post it here after the rest of my backlogged missions have been posted.   In the meantime, it's on my profile list if you're curious.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

0 Kudos

Re: Super MacGrath

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* A God Am I - LINK

"Militia with super powers? This needs investigating!"

You're sent to intervene in a militia mugging, only to find that the mugger appears to be indestructible.  This is a narrative mission that involves investigating why a non-conduit is displaying what appears to be super powers.  Agent Kuo and Wolfe both make appearances, and the mission finalé involves a little MGS-like stealth action.

A God Am I

0 Kudos

A God Am I

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Donkey Kole - LINK

"A homage to the barrel throwing ape. Make your way up the platforms and save the girl from DK!"

The tag line there says it all.  It's a mission based on Donkey Kong.  You climb up the platforms, avoid the barrels that DK is throwing and save the girl at the top.  I've added in an inFamous twist by placing bombs along the way that need to be defused within time limits, (the mission was boring and too easy without this.)  For barrels, I tried using the beer keg object but they disintegrate when they hit the floor, so I went with the wrecking ball object from the industrial asset pack.  These worked best, as they even kill Cole sometimes if they roll over him.  Quite a simple mission this, but fun if you remember the original Donkey Kong game.

Donkey Kole

0 Kudos

Donkey Kole

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

e-flat

80%
02 Rank
Progress
e-flat
Accepted Solution

Steve,

I am always pleased with your missions and A God I Am and Donkey Kole were no exceptions.

A God I Am was fun to play and very well done. Being faced with indestructible militia gave me a real sense of panic. I'm not very stealthy so this involved a lot of "run for your life" moments.

You also did a really good job with Donkey Kole. The timers really added some challenge to a mission that otherwise would have been just too easy. Overall it was a really good interpretation of the original DK.

Your experience with the editor really comes through with solid, well made levels. Keep up the good work.

0 Kudos

Re: Donkey Kole

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Cheers! :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MAD_NOROID

50%
02 Rank
Progress
MAD_NOROID
Accepted Solution

So far my fav mission are Suicide bomber, Space invader and A god am I. Those are pretty well designed missions. I've queued Donkey Kole, ill definitely give it a try later.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jedicam10

84%
02 Rank
Progress
jedicam10
Accepted Solution
Queued the Suicide Bomber mission. Looks great.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Launchpads - LINK

"Take to the air and explore New Marais!"

One of HerrBawl's missions inspired me to make this one.  In 'Cole Can ... Fly?", Cole is shown flying through the air using a clever combination of timed script comands.  I used this basic idea and gave control to the player ... "Launchpads" features five locations dotted around the city, from which the player can launch themselves in any desired direction, then continuously boost themselves further.  The player can instantly teleport back to the pad after landing, or teleport straight to the next launchpad. The mission feels like you're playing the PS3 game, 'Pain'.

Launchpads

... Thanks again to HerrBawl for the idea.

0 Kudos

Launchpads

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jc56jc

46%
02 Rank
Progress
jc56jc
Accepted Solution

Hey, I'm played the mission launch pads and I'm currently making a mission where you get launched and get continuesly bumped by bounce pads in mid-air, therefore changing into a different path. Also some other stuff like crashing into a diso party and everyone getting launched away from you, I'll let you know when im done.

0 Kudos

Re: Launchpads

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Frog Hopper - LINK

"A homage to the frog hopping retro game."

Based on the classic game of Frogger.  This mission has you hopping across a stretch of river using various moving objects to navigate.  The frog in the original game had to reach five openings at the top of the screen.  The inFamous version has three 'openings' ... they are fires (on three platforms) you have to put out by jumping on them.  The trickiest part of creating this mission was having the checkpoints know which fire/s you've already put out when Cole resets to the start point, (had a major headache over that one.)  The objects to navigate are boats, logs, and 'turtles' which randomly sink as they did in the original Frogger.  I initially tried putting in a strip of road with cars passing by but it just didn't feel right so what we have here is a balance of faithfulness and interpretation, (oh, and being forced into the side walls will kill you too, as in the original game.)

froghopper.jpg

0 Kudos

Frog Hopper

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bnfdhfdhfd

90%
03 Rank
Progress
bnfdhfdhfd
Accepted Solution

Queued! Damn you, Steve! Your missions are one of the biggest reasons I can't stop playing this game! :smileytongue:

0 Kudos

Re: Frog Hopper

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Magnum700

36%
02 Rank
Progress
Magnum700
Accepted Solution

I played your Frog Hopper mission and.. oh my...

After I bet the mission, I went to remix to see how you did it. The amount of logic boxes were unbelievable! How did you have the patience to make this mission?

Kudos to you, my man!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SovMish

58%
02 Rank
Progress
SovMish
Accepted Solution

Hey Steve, I checked out your Frog Hopper mission, and I think the spaces between the floating logs are too large, even if you have upgraded boosters on. Especially because a lot of times when you jump, the game kind of locks you in on a trajectory, and it's ahrd to change it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

Thanks for all the feedback.  If you think the logic boxes are crazy on this, you should see them on the Whack-a-Mole mission.  Regarding the logs;  I playtested the level to death and was able to leap from object to object, and reach the end in about 18 seconds.  Didn't seem to be much problem with the spacing, but I'll have another look.  There is still a little leeway in adjusting the log spacing, as the second row of logs is very close to the strip of dry land. Also, maybe try jumping higher before activating the static thrusters?  Until I've been back on the PS3, that's all I can think of that might also be a problem.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RetroSteveUK

92%
03 Rank
Progress
RetroSteveUK
Accepted Solution

* Sky Golf - LINK

"Score big and win prizes in this fun carnival game."

A game of skill and timing.  You're firing a ball into the sky, trying to get it into tubes that yield various scores.  Score 200 points and you get to choose one of three mystery prizes.  Get the maximum 500 (tricky but achievable with a bit of practice) and you unlock the finalé in which you're awarded the Jackpot prize.  Look out for an in-joke from a cult sci-fi movie that shows up during the finalé.  I'm aiming for replay value in this mission, hoping that the player will want to play again to find out what all three prizes are, and ultimately to win the Jackpot.

skygolf.jpg

0 Kudos

Sky Golf

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel